This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York and San Francisco Seasons

Is it just me, or are ABT and NYCB seasons including a lot of what SF Ballet is doing this year? Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun, Rodeo, Swan Lake. There might be other ballets but I haven't checked that closely. I was in New York this past weekend and picked up the schedules, noticing that I'd seen a lot of the same programs on the SFBallet website. Given that I travel a lot to New York and San Francisco, I hope I can see the programs performed by different companies - a first for me!

Well, things haven't turned out as I'd hoped. I haven't been to New York yet, so have missed all those performances. I have seen SFBs Program 2 and 3. My favorites were Apollo and Rodeo - different ends of the dance spectrum to be sure. But both seemed authentic, danced as they were meant to be danced, so that's why I liked them.

In a former life I was a professional musician, so was distracted by the music in Magrittomania. I couldn't get my mind off of what the Beethoven should have sounded like, so couldn't pay attention to the ballet.

Spring rounds was very well-crafted and danced. It felt like a dance utility - turn it on and one is entertained. Turn it off and it goes away. And like an electric light, when it was turned off, not much remained to remember or discuss. But I was throughally entertained when the dance was in process.

Each of Quaternary's sections was very different. I enjoyed how exposed the music and dancing were: A Bach suite for solo cello, a solo electric guitar. The dancers with the guitar (a couple and corps) had many tutti parts (Don't know the dance term) where they initate movement together over music that must have been a nightmare to count. Yet they pulled it off.

Blue Rose reminded me of Helgi's ballet to German torch songs (forgot the title). However, rather than tell a story (at least any story I could discern) each movement seemed to stand alone. I need to see this one again, vacause it felt like there was more there than I understood initially.

I'm still hoping to get to New York. We'll see.