This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Legat Caricatures

the following listing, taken from NYPL for Perf Arts Dance Coll. of a portfolio of Russian ballet caricatures by N. Legat, notes the number known to amount to as many as 95 different dancers. As noted here NYPL has an incomplete portfolio, missing some nine plates.

my little sample here comes to 6 plates and a cover of the Legat brothers.

Legat, Nikolai Gustavovich, 1869-1937.

Russkii balet v karikatura. Br. N. S. Legat.

[st. Petersburg, 1902-05. 86] col. plates. 34 cm.

Title from portfolio.

Plate [1] is a caricature of Nikolai and Sergei Legat, with the Russian inscription, Br. N. i S. Legat, and the French inscription, Frères N. et S. Légat, and N. Legat's autograph presentation to Lavrush Novikovu: Ot odnogo iz avtorov etikh karrikatur, N. Legata, milomu Lavrush Novikovu, na pamiat' obo mikh. N. Legat. 1930 13 Mai London. (From one of the authors of these caricatures, N. Legat, to dear Lavrush Novikov, to remember me by. N. Legat. May 13, 1930, London.

Library of Congress copy has 95 plates. Beaumont and Niles list 94 plates, Magriel lists 92.

This set lacking: A. I. Chekrigen; E. P. Eduardova; L. N. Egorova; E. V. Geltser; Kh. P. Iohanson (Johanson); T. P. Karsavina; V. I. Masolova; A. P. Pavlova; V. A. Trefilova.

Full-page caricatures in color of artists of the Imperial Russian Ballet, with subject's name in Russian in lower left-hand corner and transliterated in lower right-hand corner.

CONTENTS.--[no. 1] Frères N. et S. Legat.--[no. 2] N. Aistow.--[no. 3] M. Alexandroff.--[no. 4] S. Andrianoff.--[no. 5] L. Aouer.--[no. 6] I. Asline.--[no. 7] S. Astaphieve.--[no. 8] N. Bakerkina.--[no. 9] N. Berguer.-- [no. 10] A. Bekefy.--[no. 11] L. Borhardt.--[no. 12] A. Boulgakoff.--[no. 13] A. Chiriaew.--[no. 14] P. Constantinow.--[no. 15] A. Coppini.--[no. 16] I. De-Lazari.--[no. 17] R. Drigo.--[no. 18] M(ikhail) Fokin.--[no. 19] A. Fonareva.-- [no. 20] N. Gawlikowski.--[no. 21] P. Gerdt.--[no. 22] E. Gontcharowa.--[no. 23] A. Gorsky.--[no. 24] Henriette Grimaldi.--[no. 25] S. Hillert.--[no. 26] L. Ivanoff.--[no. 27] A. Johanson.--[no. 28] I. Kaffy.--[no. 29] A. Kamichew.-- [no. 30] T. Kassatkina.--[no. 31] M. Kchécinskaja.--[no. 32] F. Kchécinsky.--[no. 33] I. Kchesinsky II.--[no. 34] L. Kjakcht.--[no. 35] G. Kiakscht.--[no. 36] I. Kloustine.--[no. 37] K. Koulitchevsky.--[no. 38] E. Kouskowa.--[no. 39] M. Konetskaja.-- [no. 40] E. Léer.--[no. 41] E. Legat.--[no. 42] Nicolas Legat.--[no. 43] Serge Legat.--[no. 44] Pierina Legnani.--[no. 45] O. Leonova.--[no. 46] O. Levenson.--[no. 47] N. Litz.--[no. 48] E. Lopouhowa.--[no. 49] S. Loukianow.-- [no. 50] E. Makarove.--[no. 51] E. Makhotina.--[no. 52] N. Matvéewa.--[no. 53] L. Nesterovskaia.--[no. 54] E. Obouchowa.--[no. 55] M. Obouhow.--[no. 56] E. Ofizierove.--[no. 57] A. Ourakowa.--[no. 58] W. Pavlowa.--[no. 59] G. Pedder.-- [no. 60] P. Péréiaslawyew.--[no. 61] M(arie) Petipa.--[no. 62] M(arius) Petipa.--[no. 63] E. Poliakowa.--[no. 64] O. Preobrajenskaia.--[no. 65] S. Repina.--[no. 66] V. Rihliakowa.--[no. 67] O. Rosenfeldt.--[no. 68] L. Roslavlewa.--[no. 69] E. Sasonowa.-- [no. 70] J. Sedova.--[no. 71] N. Sergeiew.--[no. 72] A. Slantzowa.--[no. 73] E. Snetkowa.--[no. 74] W. Soliannikoff.--[no. 75] B. Stoukolkine.--[no. 76] M. Tatarinowa.--[no. 77] E. Tcheketti.--[no. 78] M. Tcheketti.--[no. 79] O. Tchoumakowa.-- [no. 80] T. Tcherniavsky.--[no. 81] W. Tichomiroff.-- [no. 82] A. Waganowa.--[no. 83] A. Wassiliewa.--[no. 84] M. Wolf-Israel.--[no. 85] E. Zabelle.--[no. 86] P. Zalisson

post-848-1136258096_thumb.jpg

perhaps this should be a separate thread, but i too have often wondered just what RUSSIAN ballerinas of this 'grand manner' tudor might specifically be aiming at. i wonder if these legat depictions affected him as much or more than having seen whatever russian emigre ballerinas he saw first hand.

I had an awful feeling that there was a lot of Serafina Astafieva in the Russian ballerina. Beaumont tells of her greeting the milkman in a red brocade dressing-gown, her hair upswept into a turban, and already with the jewelry at breakfast! It got so that he wouldn't come to that house alone! "Ah, Dollink! How good of you to come!" :speechless-smiley-003:

fyi: imperial cards of kshessinska and marie p. in roles chosen by legat as somehow 'key' to their respective careers.

left: MFK is shown as Esmeralda, sans Djali, the goat.

MMP is shown in what i take to be one of the dances papa P. devised for her for the maryinsky's production of bizet's CARMEN.

post-848-1136418064_thumb.jpg

post-848-1136418086_thumb.jpg

As chairman of the Legat Foundation I was very interested to read you coments on the Legat caricatures.

The Legat Foundation is a registered charity,the purpose is to preserve Nicolas Legat's system of ballet,making available to students a wealth of archival literature, carictures and photograhs.

The archives can be found at The Lawrence Batley centre for Naional Arts Education Archive, Bretton Hall,Leeds, Yorkshire.

We also have a website, www.legat-russian-ballet.co.uk. there is problem with it but you should be able to open it.

I would be interesting to know how the NYPL got copies of so many of the caricatues.

peter@beynon65.fsnet.co.uk

the following listing, taken from NYPL for Perf Arts Dance Coll. of a portfolio of Russian ballet caricatures by N. Legat, notes the number known to amount to as many as 95 different dancers. As noted here NYPL has an incomplete portfolio, missing some nine plates.

my little sample here comes to 6 plates and a cover of the Legat brothers.

Legat, Nikolai Gustavovich, 1869-1937.

Russkii balet v karikatura. Br. N. S. Legat.

[st. Petersburg, 1902-05. 86] col. plates. 34 cm.

Title from portfolio.

Plate [1] is a caricature of Nikolai and Sergei Legat, with the Russian inscription, Br. N. i S. Legat, and the French inscription, Frères N. et S. Légat, and N. Legat's autograph presentation to Lavrush Novikovu: Ot odnogo iz avtorov etikh karrikatur, N. Legata, milomu Lavrush Novikovu, na pamiat' obo mikh. N. Legat. 1930 13 Mai London. (From one of the authors of these caricatures, N. Legat, to dear Lavrush Novikov, to remember me by. N. Legat. May 13, 1930, London.

Library of Congress copy has 95 plates. Beaumont and Niles list 94 plates, Magriel lists 92.

This set lacking: A. I. Chekrigen; E. P. Eduardova; L. N. Egorova; E. V. Geltser; Kh. P. Iohanson (Johanson); T. P. Karsavina; V. I. Masolova; A. P. Pavlova; V. A. Trefilova.

Full-page caricatures in color of artists of the Imperial Russian Ballet, with subject's name in Russian in lower left-hand corner and transliterated in lower right-hand corner.

CONTENTS.--[no. 1] Frères N. et S. Legat.--[no. 2] N. Aistow.--[no. 3] M. Alexandroff.--[no. 4] S. Andrianoff.--[no. 5] L. Aouer.--[no. 6] I. Asline.--[no. 7] S. Astaphieve.--[no. 8] N. Bakerkina.--[no. 9] N. Berguer.-- [no. 10] A. Bekefy.--[no. 11] L. Borhardt.--[no. 12] A. Boulgakoff.--[no. 13] A. Chiriaew.--[no. 14] P. Constantinow.--[no. 15] A. Coppini.--[no. 16] I. De-Lazari.--[no. 17] R. Drigo.--[no. 18] M(ikhail) Fokin.--[no. 19] A. Fonareva.-- [no. 20] N. Gawlikowski.--[no. 21] P. Gerdt.--[no. 22] E. Gontcharowa.--[no. 23] A. Gorsky.--[no. 24] Henriette Grimaldi.--[no. 25] S. Hillert.--[no. 26] L. Ivanoff.--[no. 27] A. Johanson.--[no. 28] I. Kaffy.--[no. 29] A. Kamichew.-- [no. 30] T. Kassatkina.--[no. 31] M. Kchécinskaja.--[no. 32] F. Kchécinsky.--[no. 33] I. Kchesinsky II.--[no. 34] L. Kjakcht.--[no. 35] G. Kiakscht.--[no. 36] I. Kloustine.--[no. 37] K. Koulitchevsky.--[no. 38] E. Kouskowa.--[no. 39] M. Konetskaja.-- [no. 40] E. Léer.--[no. 41] E. Legat.--[no. 42] Nicolas Legat.--[no. 43] Serge Legat.--[no. 44] Pierina Legnani.--[no. 45] O. Leonova.--[no. 46] O. Levenson.--[no. 47] N. Litz.--[no. 48] E. Lopouhowa.--[no. 49] S. Loukianow.-- [no. 50] E. Makarove.--[no. 51] E. Makhotina.--[no. 52] N. Matvéewa.--[no. 53] L. Nesterovskaia.--[no. 54] E. Obouchowa.--[no. 55] M. Obouhow.--[no. 56] E. Ofizierove.--[no. 57] A. Ourakowa.--[no. 58] W. Pavlowa.--[no. 59] G. Pedder.-- [no. 60] P. Péréiaslawyew.--[no. 61] M(arie) Petipa.--[no. 62] M(arius) Petipa.--[no. 63] E. Poliakowa.--[no. 64] O. Preobrajenskaia.--[no. 65] S. Repina.--[no. 66] V. Rihliakowa.--[no. 67] O. Rosenfeldt.--[no. 68] L. Roslavlewa.--[no. 69] E. Sasonowa.-- [no. 70] J. Sedova.--[no. 71] N. Sergeiew.--[no. 72] A. Slantzowa.--[no. 73] E. Snetkowa.--[no. 74] W. Soliannikoff.--[no. 75] B. Stoukolkine.--[no. 76] M. Tatarinowa.--[no. 77] E. Tcheketti.--[no. 78] M. Tcheketti.--[no. 79] O. Tchoumakowa.-- [no. 80] T. Tcherniavsky.--[no. 81] W. Tichomiroff.-- [no. 82] A. Waganowa.--[no. 83] A. Wassiliewa.--[no. 84] M. Wolf-Israel.--[no. 85] E. Zabelle.--[no. 86] P. Zalisson