• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

One dancer whose body sings, especially her arms is Veronika Part. In Glazunov's "Raymonda" she created a dreamy almost narcotized figure and her arms were almost like hearing Monserrat Caballe sing an long aria pianissimo. The gestures just floated into the air like perfume. You forgot about one or two slips in fast pique turns or some flubs in a pas de deux and just came away dreaming about what you saw and heard. She seemed to inspire the conductor - the orchestra never sounded better.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

What a beautiful description, FauxPas!

(Must get to NYC to see Part. Must get to NYC to see Part...)

#18 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

Alina Cojocaru. She might be the tiniest songbird of all, but what a singer.

#19 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

Two things --

I just started to read this thread, and was thinking "Kyra Nichols" all along...glad someone else mentioned her. Her phrasing is always very, very musical. She uses rubato like very few other dancers I have seen (granted, I am only familiar with NYCB dancers). One of the best examples I can think of is in "Ives, Songs." I think Robbins used her musicality very well.

And, re singing while you dance (a different thing from singing with the body), in most forms of Indian dance -- and I am most familiar with Bharata Natyam and Odissi -- the dancer sings the lyrics in the dramatic sections, and often sings the "bols" in the pure dance segments. (The "bols" are syllables that indicate the rhythms. They are like solfeg for rhythm. I think jazz drummers do that also, maybe even tap dancers -- does anyone know?)

#20 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

Mme. Hermine, I don't suppose Ann Barzell shot that performance? I suppose there would have been no sound. I keep wondering what steps she did to "And letís lynch Lucy!"

(in my case one of my ginch-backed arabesques would probably have sufficed :thanks: )

#21 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:54 AM

Not sure, Amy :thanks: but the library does have a photo of Miss Page from that, which is listed as follows: (date is 1943):
Posed in fourth position on pointe in costume for Lucy lake, danced to poetry by Ogden Nash. Part of her series of solo works, Dances with words and music, which she recites as well as dances.
for some reason i keep thinking of a long dress with lots of white ruffles and a big bonnet, but i'd have to see the photo to be sure!

#22 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

. . . When I think of dancing singing, I think of a dancer filling up every last note of the music.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Natalya Makarova & Altynai Asylmuratova

#23 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

~ Violette Verdy ~ :wink:

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:21 AM

~ Violette Verdy ~   :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that quality is the reason that from the film of La Source with Verdy and Villella, the ballet looked like a small masterwork, but it's generally dismissed as a minor work now.

#25 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

Other good examples of "dancers who sings with the body" I think are Diana Cuni of the Royal Danish and Elizabeth Loscavio of Hamburg Ballet.

#26 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

YEs, Kyra Nichols. Yes yes yes.

And yes Violette Verdy -- I saw film of her in Emeralds, my lord!!! I've never seen more luscious dancing.

And yes, Jorgen, Elizabeth Loscavio! who danced here in San Francisco before going to Hamburg and some of us have not forgotten... There's a fabulous piece of video in the NYCB extravaganza "Dinner wtih Balanchine" -- she danced the Girl in Blue solo from "Who Cares?" wit unbelievable nonchalance, musciality and wit -- even the gazillion-pirouettes section is musical, and the final diagonal (soutenu, double pirouette ending in coupe front, Russian pas de chat de vole, repeat, repeat) is electrifying..... she was flying across that stage, nothing safe about it, all of it hilarious, "like champagne."

And speaking of Champagne, there's Danilova.

#27 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,312 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

And yes, Jorgen, Elizabeth Loscavio! who danced here in San Francisco before going to Hamburg and some of us have not forgotten...

You can say that again. What a loss for SFB.....

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

There's a fabulous piece of video in the NYCB extravaganza "Dinner wtih Balanchine" -- she danced the Girl in Blue solo from "Who Cares?" wit unbelievable nonchalance, musciality and wit -- even the gazillion-pirouettes section is musical, and the final diagonal (soutenu, double pirouette ending in coupe front, Russian pas de chat de vole, repeat, repeat) is  electrifying..... she was flying across that stage, nothing safe about it, all of it hilarious, "like champagne."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NY crowd gave very nice welcomes to the all of the guests from Paris Opera Ballet, ABT, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Kirov, and Royal Ballet, and even to Patricia Barker of Pacific Northwest Ballet, but when Loscavio came out for that solo, there was little buzz or anticipation, and a number of "who's she?" murmurings around me. But when that solo was over, she received an overwhelming response, and rightly so.

I was very lucky to be working with vendors in the Bay Area in the mid-90's, and I got to see her often during that time. Even when she was dancing some pretty iffy pieces made on her by Tomasson, she was a joy to watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):