This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancers whose dancing "sings"

bart

YEs, Kyra Nichols. Yes yes yes.

And yes Violette Verdy -- I saw film of her in Emeralds, my lord!!! I've never seen more luscious dancing.

And yes, Jorgen, Elizabeth Loscavio! who danced here in San Francisco before going to Hamburg and some of us have not forgotten... There's a fabulous piece of video in the NYCB extravaganza "Dinner wtih Balanchine" -- she danced the Girl in Blue solo from "Who Cares?" wit unbelievable nonchalance, musciality and wit -- even the gazillion-pirouettes section is musical, and the final diagonal (soutenu, double pirouette ending in coupe front, Russian pas de chat de vole, repeat, repeat) is electrifying..... she was flying across that stage, nothing safe about it, all of it hilarious, "like champagne."

And speaking of Champagne, there's Danilova.

There's a fabulous piece of video in the NYCB extravaganza "Dinner wtih Balanchine" -- she danced the Girl in Blue solo from "Who Cares?" wit unbelievable nonchalance, musciality and wit -- even the gazillion-pirouettes section is musical, and the final diagonal (soutenu, double pirouette ending in coupe front, Russian pas de chat de vole, repeat, repeat) is  electrifying..... she was flying across that stage, nothing safe about it, all of it hilarious, "like champagne."

The NY crowd gave very nice welcomes to the all of the guests from Paris Opera Ballet, ABT, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Kirov, and Royal Ballet, and even to Patricia Barker of Pacific Northwest Ballet, but when Loscavio came out for that solo, there was little buzz or anticipation, and a number of "who's she?" murmurings around me. But when that solo was over, she received an overwhelming response, and rightly so.

I was very lucky to be working with vendors in the Bay Area in the mid-90's, and I got to see her often during that time. Even when she was dancing some pretty iffy pieces made on her by Tomasson, she was a joy to watch.