This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I know it is the second christmas day and I am not suppossed to sit behind my computerscreen, but hey something hit me real hard, so I pleaded with the family, and they let me go just for a little while. First christmas day BBC television, once a year a ballet, this time Sylvia, it knocked me right out of my seat. Royal ballet, with the most elegant prima Darcey Bussell, 36 years, two little daughters allready ( how does she do that) I was utterly stunned by everything in this amazing production with stage design from Peter Faber, which made my eyes overflow with joy beyond comparison, what a artist this man is! And than on top the choreography from Sir Frederick Aschton, what would one want more. Now I've seen many a performance of great quality but as far as this Sylvia goes. this is the best I've ever seen. A big statement I know but believe me it will knock you out also, when it will appear on dvd, and maybe it is allready, but the shops are closed on Christmas days. As I understand it it was first created in this version for Margot Fonteyn, and I wonder if anyone knows if there is a video or dvd, from her performance? Concerning all the dancers in this new Royal ballet version I was not able to grasp all the names that appear on screen but one of them I do remember is Roberto Bolle. What a amazing dancer he is! He blended so well with Darcey Bussell, that I could not take my eyes from the screen because of the many sparkles that hit me during the festivity for soul and body. It was as if I was there. I am still sort of comatized and out of breath. Is that enough praise, that you feel obliged to buy this dvd on spot. O,....I hope so.

What also helped in the proces that I watched it on a great plasma screen with a top of the bill hifi equipment, so much so, that I actually thought I was there, in body and mind, for god sake I even clapped enthousastically with the crowd.

Well my time is up, but please join me, in my a bit over the top praise.

Let me know if you have seen it, what you feel about all this. Wauw!

Is there anyone in the forum that is able to supply me with information how many dvd recordings are available at this moment, and your comments please about what you think about them! I would be very gratefull.

Walboi

as noted in the credits below, the original designs for SYLVIA are by the brothers ironside; peter farmer's part in the current production was to re-work the original ironside scheme for this new staging.

there are no known films of fonteyn in the role and none of the historic, archival films of the ballet's first production, which have been mentioned as contributing details for the current re-staging, have had commercial release. the most one can hope, i suppose, is that the recent telecast will be released commercially and that it might include some clips of the historical films.

Sylvia :Chor: Frederick Ashton; mus: Léo Delibes; lib: Jules Barbier; scen & cos: Robin & Christopher Ironside. First perf: London: Covent Garden Theatre, Sept 3, 1952, Sadler's Wells Ballet.//First U.S. perf: New York, Metropolitan Opera House, Sept 29, 1953, Sadler's Wells Ballet.

Is that enough praise, that you feel obliged to buy this dvd on spot.

It sure is, I have been waiting for a DVD of Ashston's Sylvia for a long time, are you sure that it will be released on DVD?

There is to my knowledge only Neumeier's version of Sylvia available.

I hope you recorded the broadcast!

I am sure it will be released, that would be a federal crime if they would'nt. I have the Neumeiers version by the way.

And yes I recorded Sylvia on hard disc, I could not live without it anymore.

Thank you for reacting so promptly

Walboi :)

as noted in the credits below, the original designs for SYLVIA are by the brothers ironside; peter farmer's part in the current production was to re-work the original ironside scheme for this new staging.

there are no known films of fonteyn in the role and none of the historic, archival films of the ballet's first production, which have been mentioned as contributing details for the current re-staging, have had commercial release. the most one can hope, i suppose, is that the recent telecast will be released commercially and that it might include some clips of the historical films.

Sylvia :Chor: Frederick Ashton; mus: Léo Delibes; lib: Jules Barbier; scen & cos: Robin & Christopher Ironside. First perf: London: Covent Garden Theatre, Sept 3, 1952, Sadler's Wells Ballet.//First U.S. perf: New York, Metropolitan Opera House, Sept 29, 1953, Sadler's Wells Ballet.

I saw a short piece in black and white from the first performance in 1952 but without sound. Afterwards Aschton rejected the project and laid it aside for a long time. He started to look at it again somewhere in the eighties, but I am not sure about this.

Thank you for the information

Walboi

Loved your enthusiasm, walboi -- can't wait to see it myself.

Mark Morris made a new Sylvia for us in SanFrancisco 2years ago hat made me very happy -- SUCH WONDERFUL MUSIC!!!!!!! -- which SFB is reviving this year at the END of the year. In New York ABT does Ashton's Sylvia, so all of a sudden it's busting out all over.....

There's a fair amount of info, Walboi, in case you're interested, about how Ashton choreographed it, how incredibly good Fonteyn was in it, and all in "Secret Muses," the bio by Julie Kavanagh which came out not too long ago. it might be in your library. Another EXCELLENT book is David Vaughan's "Ballets of Frederick Ashton" which may be harder to find.....

Loved your enthusiasm, walboi -- can't wait to see it myself.

Mark Morris made a new Sylvia for us in SanFrancisco 2years ago hat made me very happy -- SUCH WONDERFUL MUSIC!!!!!!! -- which SFB is reviving this year at the END of the year. In New York ABT does Ashton's Sylvia, so all of a sudden it's busting out all over.....

There's a fair amount of info, Walboi, in case you're interested,  about how Ashton choreographed it, how incredibly good Fonteyn was in it, and all in "Secret Muses," the bio by Julie Kavanagh which came out not too long ago. it might be in your library. Another EXCELLENT book is David Vaughan's "Ballets of Frederick Ashton" which may be harder to find.....

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your understanding reaction on my story about the ever so beautifull Sylvia. I assure you it does not happen that often that I am over the top with my praise, but I am sure it will knock you also out of your senses the moment they put it on dvd. I allready pre ordered it at a music store. The music of Leo Delibes is something to be treasured. It is sometimes heavly scored and played by the way, and if the tempo of the orchestra is not exactly right the ballet will go to ruins. Is does happen more often as some people see and hear. But anyway with Sylvia all is well I am happy to report.

I will certainly buy this book from Julie Kavanagh, I knew it was there but had not the time to go out and purchase it, but I will now, allthough the snow is falling in a unending stream. The book from Vaughan's is to my shame unknow to me, but I will try to get it also.

Thank you for this usefull info

Walboi :crying:

I am sure it will be released, that would be a federal crime if they would'nt.  I have the Neumeiers version by the way.

And yes I recorded Sylvia on hard disc, I could not live without it anymore.

Thank you for reacting so promptly

Walboi  :)

If you managed to record it onto a DVR/PVR then you could encode the .ts files and make a burnable dvd or a viewable .avi out of it quite easily, which may be more convenient for you. Just a suggestion.

-goro-