This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Habana Ballet Festival 2006 - Cuba

Hi

I wonder if anyone has attended past editions of the International Ballet Festival of La Habana (Cuba), and, if so, their impressions, as I am contemplating attending.

Thanks a lot

Silvy

I went in 2000 and 2002; also made a trip there in 2003. It is a fantastic trip but very difficult to obtain both visas necessary from our U.S. and the Cuban governments. Unless you are a professional jounalist or have other official business there, you must travel with a group and closely adhere to the group's schedule. That said, it is a trip that you will never forget if you find a way to go. If you go, bring things like over the counter medicines, soap, batteries, sewing needles, and small gifts for the Cuban people. Make a trip to Ballet Nacional de Cuba's studios and ask for Miriam Vila; she speaks English fluently and is incredibly generous in giving her time showing guests around. Take as many of the hotel soaps/toiletries as you can and distribute them to the Cuban people -- they are very much in need and very appreciative. Leave all the clothes you can with them.

Good luck,

Centaur Dancer

Aren't the visa requirements much stricter for US nationals than just about anyone else? Silvy likely won't have the same bureaucratic maze to run through as you.

Can you give specific details about the dancing you saw there -- so we get a flavor? I'd really appreciate learning more.

And welcome to BalletTalk, Centaur Dancer. Please introduce yourself on our Welcome Page.