This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peer Gynt

I saw Ben Stevenson's version danced by Houston Ballet many years ago at City Center and liked it. Sorry that I can't go into detail but it was a pleasing experience.

There is also a version by modern dancer Jamey Hampton.

They are going to put it up in the Swedish Royal ballet, i want to see it but i´m not sure i will understand what it ´s about. I have red a children´s book about Peer Gynt and i liked the story. The people i have spoken to say that they have made a modern verison of it but they still got Peer and Solveig romance.

But I don´t know what modern dance is:(

the ballet is Choreographead by John Neumeier freely after Henrik Ibsen

Here are a couple of LINKS to Jon Neumeier (Hamburg Ballet), both of which refer to his version of Peer Gynt.

http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/neumeier.htm

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_03/ju...ew_neumeier.htm

I remember seeing part of an old video (rather poor video and sound quality) of a version of Peer Gynt (not Neumeier's) danced by the ballet of the Slovak National Theater. But a quick search on Google did not turn it up, though there is a reference on the Lanterna Magika site.

I remember it as being more modern than anything else, and having rather amateurish decor and costumes. I don't know whether this told the complete story. The part I saw involveld, as far as I can remember, Anitra's Dance.

Here are a couple of LINKS to Jon Neumeier (Hamburg Ballet), both of which refer to his version of Peer Gynt.

http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/neumeier.htm

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_03/ju...ew_neumeier.htm

I remember seeing part of an old video (rather poor video and sound quality) of a version of Peer Gynt (not Neumeier's) danced by the ballet of the Slovak National Theater.  But a quick search on Google did not turn it up, though there is a reference on the Lanterna Magika site.

I remember it as being more modern than anything else, and having rather amateurish decor and costumes.  I don't know whether this told the complete story.  The part I saw involveld, as far as I can remember, Anitra's Dance.

:crying: do you recommend me to see it?

I don´t know if i want to see it or not :wink:

Rosie, if you don't know what modern dance is or have never seen Neumeier I think you should see it. Just to see if you like it or not. There is no way of anybody to tell you what you would like or dislike. Otherwise it would be just like that story I was told as a child: A little horse was afraid of crossing a river: he asked a cow if it is deep, then she replied no. Then he asked a squirrel who of course said it was deep. He found out that the only way to know was to try it himself :wink:

Just take any chance to see dance, then you will eventually find out what your taste in dance is and what choreographers you like or dislike, regardless of the label people put on the style (classical, neoclassical, modern, street, funk et cetera) :party-smiley-017:

Rosie, if you don't know what modern dance is or have never seen Neumeier I think you should see it. Just to see if you like it or not. There is no way of anybody to tell you what you would like or dislike. Otherwise it would be just like that story I was told as a child: A little horse was afraid of crossing a river: he asked a cow if it is deep, then she replied no. Then he asked a squirrel who of course said it was deep. He found out that the only way to know was to try it himself :)

Just take any chance to see dance, then you will eventually find out what your taste in dance is and what choreographers you like or dislike, regardless of the label people put on the style (classical, neoclassical, modern, street, funk et cetera) :party-smiley-017:

But what shell i say to my mom, to see balett is Stockholm i would have to order a hotell then a flight that would cost a lot of money i don´t know if she would let me go :wacko: But i´ll ask her.

But what shell i say to my mom, to see balett is Stockholm i would have to order a hotell then a flight that would cost a lot of money i don´t know if  she would let me go  :wacko: But i´ll ask her.

That's a tough one, Rosie. I travel to see ballet, but for me to fly and spend money on a hotel, at least one of the following must be true: someone whose opinion I trust has explained why it should be seen, it's important historically, or there is a dancer that I really want to see. It may be better to read the reviews of the Royal Swedish Ballet production to see if it's something you might want to see, before you commit to a plane ticket and hotel.

For sampling different kinds of dance, I stick to video, local productions, or companies that are visiting where I happen to be visiting.

I foun this site (in Danish :( ) that might help with the plot.

Description It is however from a play so the ballet might be different.

"Peer Gynt is a young man with three faults: he lies, brags and dreams in other words: he lacks connection with reality.

The play is about his life. About how he goes from one adventure to another and how he lies and runs away from resposibility and also about how he is fooled by others.

When he as a 70 year old comes back home and finds out that he has spent his life badly it is Solveig's love and faithfulness that saves him."

But yeah, if you have to buy flight tickets, hotel and a theatre ticket... If you want classical ballet, based on the only two ballets I've seen of Neumeier (The little Mermaid and Romeo & Juliet) I wouldn't advice you to go. I was bored to death (I like romantic and classical ballets)! So your decision to save up the money sounds wise. Wait for La Bayadère instead :)

(Which is cheapest for you? To go to Stockhom or Copenhagen? Generally, I think the Royal Danish is considered a "better" company than the Royal Swedish...)

I foun this site (in Danish  :( ) that might help with the plot.

Description It is however from a play so the ballet might be different.

"Peer Gynt is a young man with three faults: he lies, brags and dreams in other words: he lacks connection with reality.

The play is about his life. About how he goes from one adventure to another and how he lies and runs away from resposibility and also about how he is fooled by others.

When he as a 70 year old comes back home and finds out that he has spent his life badly it is Solveig's love and faithfulness that saves him."

But yeah, if you have to buy flight tickets, hotel and a theatre ticket... If you want classical ballet, based on the only two ballets I've seen of Neumeier (The little Mermaid and Romeo & Juliet) I wouldn't advice you to go. I was bored to death (I like romantic and classical ballets)! So your decision to save up the money sounds wise. Wait for La Bayadère instead  :(

(Which is cheapest for you? To go to Stockhom or Copenhagen? Generally, I think the Royal Danish is considered a "better" company than the Royal Swedish...)

:) I also think that the danish company is better i´d record their balett Bournonville that was shown on Dr1 last week it was beautiful :D