This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is anyone familiar with a performance by the Nederlands Dans Theater (or Royal Danish Ballet) to the music of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana?

I saw a TV performance many years ago. It was filmed in a monastery and outdoors. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm trying to find out if the video is available.

this is likely the film you mean and to the best of my knowledge there has been no commercial release:

Carmina burana 1964. 60 min. : sd. b&w.

Produced by National Educational Television. Telecast on September 10, 1964 by WNET/13, New York. Producer: Jac Venza. Director: Karl Genus. Narration written by Linda Gottlieb. Videotaped on location in Holland at the mediaeval castle of Doornenburg.

Choreography: John Butler. Music: Carl Orff. Music performed by the Houston Symphony Orchestra and the Houston Chorale, conducted by Leopold Stokowski. Performed by Glen Tetley, Willy de la Bye, Charles Czarny, Marian Sarstadt, Anne Hyde, Gerard Lemaitre, Martinette Janmaat, and members of Nederlands Dans Theater.

this is likely the film you mean and to the best of my knowledge there has been no commercial release:

Produced by National Educational Television. Telecast on September 10, 1964 by WNET/13, New York. Producer: Jac Venza. Director: Karl Genus. Narration written by Linda Gottlieb. Videotaped on location in Holland at the mediaeval castle of Doornenburg.

Choreography: John Butler. Music: Carl Orff. Music performed by the Houston Symphony Orchestra and the Houston Chorale, conducted by Leopold Stokowski. Performed by Glen Tetley, Willy de la Bye, Charles Czarny, Marian Sarstadt, Anne Hyde, Gerard Lemaitre, Martinette Janmaat, and members of Nederlands Dans Theater.

Yes, that must be the one! My heavens, I remembered it from 1964??!! I guess I'll try tracking it down thru NET.

Yes, that must be the one! My heavens, I remembered it from 1964??!! I guess I'll try tracking it down thru NET.

Were you ever able to locate a copy of this video? I also saw it 40 years ago and can still recall parts of it.

I believe there is a copy in the performing arts library at Lincoln Center, but it does not circulate. You must view it in the library.

I would love to have a copy to watch over and over. If anyone knows where a legal copy might be available, I'll bet a number of us would be interested.

Thanks--

Dennis