This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Name that step...

this hand-to-shoulder position has often intrigued me too.

it can be used to help beginning dance students, when it's taken by both arms w/ elbows out so each hand touches its respective shoulder, to help guide the spotting for, say chaine turns, but it also has various 'meanings' in different 'schools' of technique and/or in various choreographic contexts, as this post makes note.

as for naming these things, i was told balanchine's answer to various queries for one move/step/pose or another, sometimes went as follows: is not school; is choreography.

Beautiful picture -- thanks for the link.

I've heard that positon called "romantic port de bras" -- Nureyev used to put his hand there in the solo from Corsaire, and it was a gorgeous line.

Mel will have a better answer than this, but till he weighs in, this is what I know.

The position is used in Cecchetti class; and Merce Cunningham uses it in training as well. As RG noted, it sets up the shoulders very well and helps teach how to use the shoulders for turning. Brynar Mehl used to have us do tendus with the hand on the shoulder.

I've seen this photo before. Somewhere. Anyone have an idea of whether it's from a ballet (if so, which?) or a studio pose?

P.S. Hayden's effect on me during my teen years in the NYCB City Center audience played a big role in making me a life-long ballet lover.

Hey Paul, I remember one teacher, when using it in the classroom as a teaching device, insist upon the elbows being raised higher than in the photo... does that jive with your experience of it in class? I don't quite feel it as setting up the back as well if they're dropped, though it certainly has a different choreographic effect.

point well made by amy.

the position for the hayden portrait seems more pose, as in a graceful 'attitude' of the arm, than a prescribed positioning from some choreographic moment.

the elbow-straight-out 'classroom' position is much more 'severe' and/or 'clinical' in its way and its purpose.

still this 'main a l'epaule' must come from somewhere specific, at some time, in some 'school' of ballet, etc.

if mem. serves isn't there a similarly posed photo of fonteyn? perhaps hayden was taking her pose from that photo?