This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Toughest Evening Length Ballet for Male Principal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform?

1. Don Quixote (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Swan Lake (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. La Bayadere (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Giselle (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

5. Spartacus (11 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

6. La Sylphide (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

Excellet point, Hans. Thanks.

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

I'm with Hans --

If you want to see something made to look impossibly easy, check out Vasiliev and Maximova in Giselle -- he lifts her overhead again and again as if she were weightless. The Soviet version of the Act 2 pas de deux is as heroic as Spartacus, but none of the effort can show, you can't even THINK of it, and all you see is her trajectory.....

#18 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:46 AM

I am with Paul and Hans.

I remember Alicia Alonso saying that Albrecht was a very difficult role for the male partner (I heard it from herself at a master class I attended back in 1991 in Buenos Aires). I think Also Anton Dolin suggests the same in his book "pas de deux", if memory serves me well.

I would add that the hands should not be seen as "gripping" Giselle, as she is a spirit.

Also I very much admire Vassiliev and Maximova in second act pdd - it is just incredible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):