Toughest Evening Length Ballet for Male Principal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform?

1. Don Quixote (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Swan Lake (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. La Bayadere (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Giselle (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

5. Spartacus (11 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

6. La Sylphide (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

Excellet point, Hans. Thanks.

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

I'm with Hans --

If you want to see something made to look impossibly easy, check out Vasiliev and Maximova in Giselle -- he lifts her overhead again and again as if she were weightless. The Soviet version of the Act 2 pas de deux is as heroic as Spartacus, but none of the effort can show, you can't even THINK of it, and all you see is her trajectory.....

#18 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:46 AM

I am with Paul and Hans.

I remember Alicia Alonso saying that Albrecht was a very difficult role for the male partner (I heard it from herself at a master class I attended back in 1991 in Buenos Aires). I think Also Anton Dolin suggests the same in his book "pas de deux", if memory serves me well.

I would add that the hands should not be seen as "gripping" Giselle, as she is a spirit.

Also I very much admire Vassiliev and Maximova in second act pdd - it is just incredible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):