Toughest Evening Length Ballet for Male Principal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these ballets do you think is the hardest for a male dancer to perform?

1. Don Quixote (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Swan Lake (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. La Bayadere (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Giselle (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

5. Spartacus (11 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

6. La Sylphide (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote

#1 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

I thought now would be a good time for a companion poll to our "Toughest ballet for a ballerina" topic. Which leading role from the above ballets is the hardest on its male lead? What makes it more difficult than other ballets?

#2 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

I chose 'La Sylphide' because (for me) all is lost if the technique is not pure, clean and precise.

#3 dachnitsa

dachnitsa

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

I am missing the button for the "other" check box ...

My vote would be Spartacus: there is so much powerful dancing in it - tremendous jumps, turnings, press-lifts ... and the hero has to bridge the gap between war-scenes and the more lyrical ones to be convincing.

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:40 PM

I'm withholding my vote (but not my opinion :wink: ) until I think things over a bit more thoroughly.

La Sylphide: ATM makes an important point, except James doesn't have to do any heavy lifting, which can drain stamina.

Don Quixote: Basil has lots of strenuous partnering, as well as big, heroic jumps, etc.

Sleeping Beauty: Desire doesn't even appear until halfway through the darned thing.

:beg:

Dachnitsa may have fingered the real toughie, but it's not as prominent in the US balleto's mind as the other options BalletNut offers.

#5 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

I've edited the poll so that Spartacus appears as an option. :beg:

#6 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

I think there should be an "Other" choice. If there was I'd vote "Other" for James in Lacotte's reimagined Sylphide.

It's an hour and a half long and he dances at least 45 minutes. Beats, jumps, everything and he's not spared the lifts. Wrong for the period, entertaining for the audience, exhausting for the dancer. I get tired just looking at him :beg:

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

I picked Spartacus, after a recent re-viewing of the Mukhamedov performance on video. But chrisk217 is very persuasive about James in the Lacotte Sylphide

The first is big, athletic, obviously requiring great stamina. The other demands speed, lightness, and strength of a rather different sort.

#8 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

Again, I choose Giselle. It's deceptive, but the partnering is incredibly difficult, and all of it must be so perfect that it's extremely draining.

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:06 AM

I went for Don Q. Busy, busy, busy. But Hans makes a convincing case for Giselle, too. Especially tough because of the working of mime into actual technical dancing, even though most of what we see today comes down to us through a Petipa filter.

#10 dachnitsa

dachnitsa

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:14 AM

Thank you BalletNut for adding the Spartacus option !

Greetings from Moscow

dachnitsa

#11 Kellyaire

Kellyaire

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

The two that came immediately to mind after Spartacus, would be MacMillan's Manon or Romeo and Juliet.

any thoughts?
Kelly aire

#12 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Kellyaire. I hope you'll find your way onto our Welcome forum so we can get to know you better. :angry2: Anyway, MacMillan's ballets do seem to have their fair share of lifts, don't they? Unfortunately, there are only so many slots that the software will give you for polls!

You're welcome, dachnitsa. :yucky: Now I'm interested to see Spartacus. (I presume we're talking about the Grigorovitch version, correct?)

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,586 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:33 PM

I voted for Spartacus from this list, and I also thought of Mayerling, which looked very intense and arduous.

#14 jllaney

jllaney

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

Spartacus gets my vote. One handed lifts and a few thousand jumps has got to be hard.

#15 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

It's interesting to read these polls and see what those of us who have danced think vs. the audience's point of view--just goes to show you how difficult it is to make things look easy. :angry2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):