This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Takarazuka

Diana

I haven't seen any posts on this fabulous dance company! The Japanese dancers there work so hard and are much talent in singing, ballet, jazz and many other arts! Has anyone evr seen them dance or on tour? When I was very young mother took me to Cinderella and my aunt was the stepmother! Very funny.

I would love to hear if anyone has seen them perform because i used to live there and my daughter took master classes with pupil of Mertha Graham and vaganova trained teachers!

(price was not very good but yen is weak so dollar gets good exchange).

Diana L.

While working in Osaka I was very fortunate to see an all female theatre company by the name of Takarazuka doing The Great Gatsby. Is this the same company of which you speak? It was quite a surprise since I knew nothing before going and only figured it out at the end of the 1st Act. Saw a great show, they could sing,dance and act but this was not ballet. Would go again in a heartbeat.

I saw this fabulous Japanese company on my first trip to Japan in the 1970s. And the last time I saw Takarazuka was when they toured Hong Kong 3 years ago. I remember that several hundred Japanese fans flew specially here to catch that week's performances, similar to Tetsuya Kumakawa's guest performancs later that year.

The two-act show was most spectacular and entertaining. The first act consisted of traditional Japanese dancing, while the second consisted of Western dances. The Can-can number, the tango, and the final tribute to Broadway were grandly danced.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]

The company Kevin describes sounds very like a company that was in Washington a year or two ago. I thought it was exceptional. They did a dance that was mostly for the hands. It was the oldest piece in the repertory -- several hundred years -- and was a comic dance. Two women were trying to dance "properly" but could not, and their ineptness was shown by making their hands grotesque. They were imitating the dancing of their "betters" (who, of course, mocked them). The detail was extraordinary.

I'm going to move this thread to the Dance Board, as it isn't a ballet company. I hope the discussion will continue there.

http://www.balletalert.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ult...c&f=26&t=000010

Alexandra

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]