Ansanelli with the RB

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

Did anyone see her debut with the RB on the 4th? Would love to hear about it.

#17 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Did anyone see her debut with the RB on the 4th? Would love to hear about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I think you could class it as a success - it was certainly well received. She looked very lovely, exceptionally well groomed and glamourous and this company could do with a bit of glamour IMHO. It was a very accurate, very musical performance - lacking perhaps in a daring if you compare it with Verdy (but then who could compare with Verdy) and she was dancing with a new partner whose partnering is reliable, but perhaps no more than that.
I'm looking forward to seeing her with the company - hopefully before too long - rather than in an isolated showpiece. With that big, light, jump it's a shame she arrived too late for Firebird.

#18 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:41 AM

Some newspaper reviews:

http://www.telegraph.../ixartleft.html

http://www.guardian....1702920,00.html

#19 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the links, Dale. And it is wonderful to read of Darcey Bussell's success with Balanchine. I remember years ago when she guested with City Ballet and frequently out-Balanchine'd our own! Also one summer RB visit where, in a matinee performance of Cendrillon, she was the closest thing to Farrell I've seen since Suzanne retired.

#20 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

Well, I think you could class it as a success - it was certainly well received.  She looked very lovely, exceptionally well groomed and glamourous and this company could do with a bit of glamour IMHO.  It was a very accurate, very musical performance - lacking perhaps in a daring if you compare it with Verdy (but then who could compare with Verdy) and she was dancing with a new partner whose partnering is reliable, but perhaps no more than that. 
I'm looking forward to seeing her with the company - hopefully before too long - rather than in an isolated showpiece.  With that big, light, jump it's a shame she arrived too late for Firebird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, for your comments Alymer. I do wonder what she will do during the rest of the RB's season, as the casting seems to be set for a good number of performances. My husband spotted her at the Kennedy Center Honors show and was quite taken with Alexandra and he's not a big fan of ballet yet.

#21 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

Maybe a Princess Florine or two?

#22 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

Maybe a Princess Florine or two?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think she would be a good Princess Florine. Other than Beauty and R&J(tried to get tickets to see Sylvie, no luck). I can't remember the rest of the RB's season. :(

#23 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:07 AM

There's a mixed bill with yet-to-be-announced divertissements. Would think she'd be somewhere in there....

#24 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

There's an especially favourable review of Ansanelli by Debra Craine in The Times:
http://entertainment...2027581,00.html

[Acosta and Lamb in Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun]..."are a hard act to follow, but Alexandra Ansanelli and Federico Bonelli managed to make a tremendous impression in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux. As a former dancer at New York City Ballet, Ansanelli has Balanchine in the blood and it shows. We rarely see his choreography danced with such exciting panache or intoxicating speed. Ansanelli, who has just joined the Royal, was clearly determined to make her mark..."

#25 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:43 AM

There's an especially favourable review of Ansanelli by Debra Craine in The Times:
http://entertainment...2027581,00.html

[Acosta and Lamb in Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun]..."are a hard act to follow, but Alexandra Ansanelli and Federico Bonelli managed to make a tremendous impression in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux. As a former dancer at New York City Ballet, Ansanelli has Balanchine in the blood and it shows. We rarely see his choreography danced with such exciting panache or intoxicating speed. Ansanelli, who has just joined the Royal, was clearly determined to make her mark..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a nice one. I read the London reviews of the RB frequently, and some of the critics get rather nasty. I remember La Bayadere being danced early in the season and someone making a remark that Tamara Rojo should have been in a more "concealing" costume, (ie hadn't really gotten into shape yet). I also thought Darcy got raked over the coals for Sylvia early this year.

#26 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

Good to read of Alexandra's continuing success, this time in the Robbins "Afternoon of a Faun", as well as her anticipated promotion to Principal. John Percival in danceviewtimes:
http://www.danceview...triplebill.html

#27 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

And I was hoping that she would have hooked up with ABT. The Royal has a "Jewel" alright!!!!!!

#28 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:43 AM

The RB has announced various casting changes, and to no-one's amazement Ansanelli will now be dancing some performances of Polyphonia. She's also doing Ashton's Birthday Offering pas de deux in some performances of a mixed bill in June. Details at

http://info.royalope...dex.cfm?ccs=173

#29 Haglund's

Haglund's

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

Judging from reviews and internet comments, it would appear that Miss Ansanelli is starting to make her mark at the Royal - most notably as Aurora. I noticed that she is also cast in Mayerling later on. I am so incredibly happy for this very unique and wonderfully talented artist!

#30 Maxi3D

Maxi3D

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Here is a recent article from New York Times about Ms. Ansanlli in the Royal Ballet. The comparison between Ms. Ansanlli and Ms. Kirkland in the article was interesting.

http://www.nytimes.c...rts&oref=slogin

Edit: Sorry, didn't noticed that this link was already mentioned in another thread. Please delete. :blushing:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):