Balanchine Triple BillFebruary 1-5, Merriam Theater

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

How was Francis Veyette in the lead of Theme and Variations?

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:02 PM

Good beats but his upper body didn't look schooled. I don't think he's suited to white tights roles. The company wasn't really up to Theme; they looked much more at home in either Prodigal or Western.

#18 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:49 PM

I saw the Thursday night performance. I had never seen any of these ballets before. My main complaint is that each one of the ballets was too short. :) I would have been very happy to have seen the Third Movement of Western Symphony too.

To my great surprise, Theme and Variations was the ballet I least liked. The dancers looked like they were being very careful which wasn't what I had expected. The ballet also suffered IMO from a lack of scenery. The aura of grandeur that I was expecting just wasn't there. I wish the company could perform this again next year, so that they could work at it some more.

I loved The Prodigal Son. The aesthetic with the blazingly colorful Kandinsky-esque sets and costumes is very appealing and I also like the stylized movement. In a weird way, it reminded me of Martha Graham's ballets. Philip Colucci was outstanding as the title character. He has boyish looks, so he was a vulnerable and susceptible Prodigal. This is probably a breakout performance for Colucci.

Western Symphony looked like it was a lot of fun for audience and dancers alike. I can't single out any dancers as it was all I could do just to concentrate on the choreography. However it was definitely Riolama Lorenzo's night for outlandish headresses, as she was the Siren and then began the Fourth Movement in WS with a fancy sun bonnet.

I wish I could have seen this program again, but it was avery short run and unfortunately, the night I went, the theatre was not full at all.

#19 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

I got to see 4 shows, Friday night through Sunday. All of the shows seemed very sold, so good news for the ballet. By far, I thought that the Sunday show was the best of the 4. I ,also , wish that the run would have been longer for this series. It was a great series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):