This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

SFB To Perform Don Quixote at Edinburgh FestivalSuzanne Farrell Ballet...August 2006

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bill

Bill

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

Here is the link: http://www.eif.co.uk...l_2006_News.php (Hope this is the best place to post this - I'm a newbie. My apologies if it's not.)

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

Thank you for this wonderful news, Bill! It's in the exact right place.

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Here's the latest information from the Festival website. Five performances, August 26-29.

http://www.edinburgh.../international/

This is a very complicated and inconsistent website in general -- and NOT easy to use. You have to select an "artform" (dance), and the info on the Farrell company should appear.

Anyone planning to attend?

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

Wish I could! Edinburgh is exceedingly crowded then....but would love to hear reports......

on this side of the Atlantic, a core group will be at Jacob's Pillow doing some wonderful pieces......

#5 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'd follow Suzanne anywhere, preferably to NJPAC or the Kennedy Center. But I can't make it to Edinburgh or to Jacob's Pillow for that matter. Like Juliet, I'd love to read some reports.

#6 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'll be there..DD in corps...will see last two performances...Hope to catch two different Dulcineas. Will report in Sept upon return.
Cheers,
Watermill

#7 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

'...everything man does he does for his ideal woman. You live only one life and you believe in something and I believe in a little thing like that.' George Balanchine

Navigating to that site was worth it, to find this quote!

#8 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

I'll not make it to Edinburgh, so I'm looking forward to that, Watermill!

But I expect to see most of the run at Jacob's Pillow and report what I see as best I can...

#9 Bill

Bill

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

Here's the latest information from the Festival website. Five performances, August 26-29.

http://www.edinburgh.../international/

This is a very complicated and inconsistent website in general -- and NOT easy to use. You have to select an "artform" (dance), and the info on the Farrell company should appear.

Bart is right -- the Festival website is complicated. But if you persist and get to the Don Q page, there are a few photos, presumably from last summer's Kennedy Center performances.

#10 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

The site is complex, but I didn't find it so hard to use, although I got to it by a different address. If you use this link

http://www.eif.co.uk/

you get a page which looks the same but has a different slide show going in the middle of it. When I saw a slide of Don Quixote, I clicked on it and went to this page

http://www.eif.co.uk...Don_Quixote.php

What's really nice is the seat-choice page you eventually get (it loads slowly) if you click one of the BUY links in the right column: You see exactly which seats are taken, which are available, and what their prices are, and you select the one(s) you want, like you do when you reserve airplane seats! I know of no American theatre using this technology.

But, where does one sit in this theatre? Where are the best seats? Is the main floor ("stalls") level, so you can be blocked? How far back is the "cicle"? Anyone here ever sat in the Edinburgh Playhouse? I suppose price is a good guide, but the top-price L40 (40-pound) seats are unavailable at the moment - sold, or never were? - so I'm wondering where to aim for.

Anyway, the bottom of the Don Quixote page has one of the nicest examples of "further information" I've run across:

Additional info:
'...everything man does he does for his ideal woman. You live only one life and you believe in something and I believe in a little thing like that.' George Balanchine

That's my kind of festival site!

#11 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

What's really nice is the seat-choice page you eventually get (it loads slowly) if you click one of the BUY links in the right column: You see exactly which seats are taken, which are available, and what their prices are, and you select the one(s) you want, like you do when you reserve airplane seats! I know of no American theatre using this technology.

The PAC center in Newark, NJ uses something like this. You select a tier and then the screen displays the section ; seat by seat , row by row with the row numbers visible. The seats already sold are shaded a different color.

You select the seat(s) you want from ones still available by clicking on them and they go into your basket.

I don't know how long they are using this, I bought last March for Perm Swan Lake using this software.

Richard

#12 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Adding to Richard's description of NJPAC's on-line ticketing :flowers: , you can also click to get an idea of the view from that seat. Of course, it's hard to gauge distance, but you can get an idea of how far to the side you'll be, or if you're in an upper tier, how steep the angle downwards. It's a great model for other theaters. I can't think of a feature I'd like that it lacks. :clapping:

I love NJPAC!

#13 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

The new Harris Theatre here has one of those virtual-view things, but I find it inaccurate.

#14 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:23 PM

Kennedy Center also uses it; I've found it helpful....

#15 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

The site is complex, but I didn't find it so hard to use, although I got to it by a different address. If you use this link

But, where does one sit in this theatre? Where are the best seats? Is the main floor ("stalls") level, so you can be blocked? How far back is the "cicle"? Anyone here ever sat in the Edinburgh Playhouse? I suppose price is a good guide, but the top-price L40 (40-pound) seats are unavailable at the moment - sold, or never were? - so I'm wondering where to aim for.

That's my kind of festival site!

The Playhouse is (by UK standards) a very large venue, but not, I find, a very inviting one. I think it was a cinema at one point. The stage is wide but shallow. The public areas are very cramped and poorly lit.

The rear stalls can feel a very long way from the stage. Middle is best - the very front is a bit low for a good look at the feet. You might be better off in the circle. The audotorium is fairly wide, so if you are off to one side you may have a poor view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):