This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

White House appearance

Apparently ABT's NUTCRACKER stint at the White House this a.m. will be aired on HGTV's Christmas at The White House 2005 at 8pm on Dec. 7 and many more times -- Dec. 8 at 12am and 6pm. Pictures from today's appearance are on www.whitehouse.gov.

i'm unable to find on this whitehouse.com site where the ABT photos are but maybe other ballettalkers are more clever w/ such navigation.

as i couldn't find the pictures, i don't know which dancers appeared.

a few more cast names:

clara - x. reyes

prince - h. cornejo

sugar plum and cavalier (as noted in photo) kent and carreno

arabian dance - e. cornejo & i. stappas

russian dancers included d. keane (+ others)

the characters also included fairies and unicorn but i have heard no more other dancer's names.

Here's another one: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...11jpg-515h.html

Did anyone notice that the caption reads:

"Sitting with children, President and Laura Bush watch the American Ballet COMPANY perform part of the Holiday classic, "The Nutcracker," during the Children's Holiday Reception in the East Room Monday, Dec. 5, 2005. White House photo by Shealah Craighead"

As far as I know, the company's name is American Ballet THEATRE :D .

Are they Cuban or Cuban-American?  They have been dancing with ABT for so many years, I'd imagine they've naturalized already.  I don't understand all the fuss about their original nationality, once naturalized they are as American as everybody.  As far as I know there's only one class of citizenship.

I think that perhaps the point being made was that the government blocked NYCB's attempt to hire Mr. Carreno's half brother, a Cuban too.

My meaning was not so specific, drb, but I couldn't help but be struck by the irony, considering the relations between the two countries.

I'm not sure of Reyes' status, but Carreno is a citizen of Cuba, and he travels back and forth, as shown in the PBS documentary, . . . :D [senior moment].

a few more cast names:

clara - x. reyes

prince - h. cornejo

sugar plum and cavalier (as noted in photo) kent and carreno

arabian dance - e. cornejo & i. stappas

russian dancers included d. keane (+ others)

the characters also included fairies and unicorn but i have heard no more other dancer's names.

Fairy at the front right, in pink, is Sarah Lane.

What a let-down! Like you, I sat through one hour of floral arranging and baking gingerbread dogs, hoping to glimpse some of Julie & Jose-Manuel's pas de deux. Instead, we only saw a half-second of five fairies (or unicorns?) cavorting, followed by a two-second 'reaction' shot of Pres. Bush as he paid very close attention to the ballet. :dunno:

What a let-down!  Like you, I sat through one hour of floral arranging and baking gingerbread dogs, hoping to glimpse some of Julie & Jose-Manuel's pas de deux. Instead, we only saw a half-second of five fairies (or unicorns?) cavorting, followed by a two-second  'reaction' shot of Pres. Bush as he paid very close attention to the ballet. 

The fairies were Maria Bystrova, Kristi Boone, Zhong Zhing Fang, Sarah Lane, and Adriene Schulte. If you blinked you missed them trying not to bump into each other on a stage the size of a picnic table.

A repeat of the White House program is on HGTV tonight at 6pm.

Want cul-chuh? Try C-SPAN!

Actually, moments ago, as the Washington Christmas celebrations were about to air (and I was ready to continue clicking along), the announcer said that excerpts from The Nutcracker would be performed by members of ABT. (This is C-SPAN One.)

So if you're not busy enjoying Christmas eve and erev-erev Hanukah with your near and dear ones (or even if you are), this might be worth your while.