This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Blue Bird- Russian vs Royal Ballet version

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 taniusha

taniusha

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:48 AM

Welcome. I for one would like to hear about performances at the National Theatre especially the upcoming Natalya Makarova production of "La Bayadere."
Regards

And, I am sorry, I didn't quite understand, which National Theatre is the question about?
(National Theatre in Belgrade - where I am from, will not produce "La Bayadere" in the near future, as far as I am informed :)
In the case your question was for me personally :) )

#32 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

In her recent review of NYC Ballet’s Sleeping Beauty on Danceviewtimes, Mary Cargill wrote:

“the Bluebird has captured Princess Florine, and is controlling her. The little hand to the ear gestures of Florine show her listening to his commands and following his lead; the choreography should not be just a series of unconnected flutters”

This is the first time I’ve heard of a scenario where the Bluebird had captured Princess Florine. Any other thoughts on this interpretation, and where it may have originated?

#33 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

"Captured" is probably not the best term. The "Bluebird" story goes back to a fairy tale written by one of the "female intellectuals" of the Louis XIV period, and had the princess locked in a tower by her father, and the bluebird is her only companion. In the winter, he flies away, "to China" the story goes, and returns in the spring. When the princess listens carefully to him, she realizes that she can understand his language, and begins to speak to him. One day, she complains about being locked up in the tower, and the bird asks why she can't fly away. She explains that she doesn't know how to fly, but the bird says, "Nothing easier. Since you've listened so carefully to me, you will have no trouble in learning if you continue to listen in that manner." So she learns from the Bluebird, and they both fly off to China together.

#34 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

I'm sure there are tons of versions of this forgotten fairy tale, but Madame d'Aulnoy's one is the one I think the Imperial Russians would have known best--it has no Florine trying to fly or trips to China--the Bluebird is the prince transformed, as mentioned. A good rundown of the complete fairy tale is here http://en.wikipedia....rd_(fairy_tale)

#35 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

BTW the other obscure fairy tale used in the divertissement (besides Hop O' My Thumb which I think is better known, though it's NOT Tom Thumb as some programs say, lol) is the White Cat who dances with Puss N Boots though she's from a seperate story. She's also probably from the Madame d'Aulnoy version (since they seemed to use exclusively the Perrault and d'Aulnoy fairy stories) though there are many versions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddocky

#36 BeatriceFerrari

BeatriceFerrari

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

Princess Florine is trying to learn how to fly. There is that "do as I do" thing (just like Carbro said), but you can't be a bird. You still a princess. So, in my opinion, there are "fluttering arms" but you can't do it all the time. It needs to be very clear that you're not a bird.

#37 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

The Bluebird and Princess Florine come from the French fairy tale The Bluebird by Madame d'Aulnoy, which is about a Prince who falls in love with Princess Florine and is turned into a bluebird by her ugly stepsister, Truitonne's wicked fairy godmother after he rejects Truitonne.

The whole theme of the Bluebird Pas de deux is that the Bluebird is teaching Princess Florine how to fly and there actually shouldn't be very many bird like references for Florine because she's the human of the couple.

In fact, take a look at this lecture by Doug Fullington, where he has reconstructed the original Bluebird Pas de deux:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):