This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Swan Lake by NYCB vs. ABTWhat is the difference? Should I see NYC

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

cubanmiamiboy, thank you for resurrecting this old topic. It was interesting for me to re-read the remarks I posted here a few years ago. After another season of Martins Swan Lake and what feels like interminable viewings of McKenzies I have to admit that my assessment has changed. While I still think itís shame that we here in NY have to chose the lesser of two evils Iím starting to think that I prefer the Martins version.

I go to see ABTís only when thereís a dancer whose Odette I feel I must see - and who can resist going to see the likes of Nina, Part and Vishneva. But even with those great artists, their production never moves me. On the other hand - there are things I absolutely hate about the NYCB version but there are also things that I love about it and the ending has moved me to tears. The last time they did it (was it last year?) I planned to go only once. But during that first performance I was struck by the power and the beauty of the score as the NYCB orchestra plays it. It just seemed so passionate and alive. Then, when Mearns and Bouder were cast - you guessed it- I wound up going 4 more times. And if Kowroski had been cast I would have gone again.

I detest the first act scenery and costumes so much that I only got through those last few performances by taking Balanchineís advice. I closed my eyes and listened to the music during most of the first act. Hardly what you want from a Swan Lake, but at least the rest of the ballet presented a clear, unified story with some emotional punch.

Iím still waiting for a plain vanilla Swan Lake. Maybe someday...

#47 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

(Who are these creatures? Why, they are the enchanted Jackson Pollock Maidens doomed forever to haunt MoMA after hours unless the hero keeps his vow never to be beguiled by the charms of representational painting again!)

:wink: :tiphat: :tiphat: Oh, God!!...the more i read about the NYCB version, the most intrigued i get about it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):