3 replies to this topic

#1 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:04 AM

I am comparing versions of the pas de deux:

The Royal Ballet versions do the fish dives, while all the Russian versions do an dedans pirouette followed by a tombe,and then attude derriere en efface.

Does anyone know which of the versions is closest to the original Petipa choreographed?

#2 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

I am comparing versions of the pas de deux:

The Royal Ballet versions do the fish dives, while all the Russian versions do an dedans pirouette followed by a tombe,and then attude derriere en efface.

Does anyone know which of the versions is closest to the original Petipa choreographed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "fish dives" weren't in the original choreography.

#3 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

maybe doug will know what the turn-of-the-century SLEEPING BEAUTY notations indicate for these moments.
the 'fish dives' were inserted if mem. serves at diaghilev's instigation and perhaps were 'worked out' choreographically by nijinska. they've been part of no mainland-russian/soviet version i'm aware of.

#4 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

Yet they are in the Act III reconstruction for the DVD New Year's Eve in St Petersburg--the final one anyway. This caught me completely by surprise. Was it just done that time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):