This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Gamonet Maximum Dance Program II

Program II of the season opened at Bailey Concert Hall in Davie Saturday night. It is not appearing in Miami's Gusman Center for the Performing Arts until January.

I started attending performances of this company as someone I have taken classes with for a few years joined for this season, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of dancing and content of the programs.

I am continually amazed by Hiroko Sakakibara, she has lovely arms and articulation of her head. She sparkles in Miniatures, fitting the small doll figure perfectly. She transitioned between wind-up doll and flowing port de bras seamlessly. In Partita, she demonstrated her smooth ballon, grand jetes sailed through the air without any hint of a jerk.

Isanusi Garcia had smaller roles this time, he shone in the first program. An extremely strong, expressive dancer. He always seemes to float just a moment longer than anyone else.

Paul Thrussell appeared with Britt Juleen in Tango Tonto, with a clean technique and parterned the quite tall Ms. Juleen impressively.

I have enjoyed the choreography and very importantly the selection of music. The use of Vivaldi and Handel in Partita was a welcome surprise, it worked very well with movement. Many performances I've seen, I feel disconnected when the music is off. I've found Miami City's music to often be too loud and or not something I enjoy content-wise. I have found all of the pieces extremely accessible and a pleasure to listen to with the dance. All three pieces of this program were Jimmy Gamonet De Los Heros' choreography.

A large portion of the quantity of the company seems to rotate in principal/soloist roles and I am amazed at the high quality of technique and expression that runs across the board with these dancers. I would love to hear what others thought of the performance, I am terrible at remembering names/faces, many stood out though.

I look forward to getting to know the rest of the dancers in this season.