This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Photography on the Web

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

Yes, thanks, canbelto.

I've only dipped into the Nureyev section. Several of the photos, including a kneeling Fonteyn supporting an upside down Nureyev in Petit's Paradise Lost, are found in the Solway biography.

Missing, however, is a shot of what Solway describes as follows:

"In its most memorable sequence, Rudolf circled the stage with a loping run before diving headfirst through the huge scarlet lips of a large female face, 'the kind of thing,' wrote Fonteyn, 'that really only happens in French ballets."

I also like the comparison illustrations. For instance, Carlotta Grisi in Esmeralda followed by an astonishingly different Marie Agnes Gillot in Petit's Notre Dame de Paris.

This is a site worth perusing slowly, especially if you know some Italian. The synthesizer music is probably something to avoid, however.

#17 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

I'm sorry I had already posted here but now I realized that my post fits more in "my Fvourite Photographs", so I'm going to move it here.

#18 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

Gene Schiavone has a new series of photos done in the studio of Anastasia and Denis Matvienko of the Kiev and Bolshoi Ballets:

http://www.geneschia...gallery/album09

He has some incredible photos there of this amazing couple. Has anyone seen them dance? Don't these photos make you want to see them perform?

#19 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

I saw the Matvienkos dance together at the Stars of the 21st Century Gala at Lincoln Center on February 15th, 10 days ago. I thought they were truly amazing, although there were a couple of reviewers who didn't share my views. It seemed to me that for these reviewers, it was more of a 'if you love the Americans, you've gotta hate the Russians" kind of mentality informing their opinions.

Denis had the Bolshoi flash and fire and wowed the crowd with his unbelievable turning jumps, taking his Diana and Actaeon variation to a whole new level of "can you beat this?" Anastasia is blessed with a long, sinewy body that looks great even when she's just standing there. Her technique, as his, is impeccable. His (multiple) pirouettes are straight on, her musicality takes her faultlessly from movement to movement. They appear quite dynamic together, he with his blond, she with her dark hair. I certainly recommend seeing them!

Edited to add: I just looked through the Matvienko photos at the Schiavone gallery and WOW! They are stunning, each and every one of them. I think these are Schiavone's best pics on the internet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):