Who are your favorite photographers of dance?What makes them special?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

I love seeing photos by former dancers who've then made a career out of photography, like Rosalie O'Connor and Angela Sterling.

Helgi Tomasson's son, Erik, who didn't dance as far as I know, has done some lovely work for San Francisco Ballet.

I am reminded also of the (now former) SF Ballet dancer Quinn Wharton, who has been doing photography/film work (such as the Tiit Helimets and Co. Estonia Tour 2011). Wharton's dance friends (such as Sarah Van Patten) appear in many of his still photos.

http://www.kickstart...tonia-tour-2011

http://quinnwharton.com/

#92 Hamorah

Hamorah

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

This is a link to the G.B.L Wilson archive gallery at the Royal Academy of Dance http://www.arenapal....hic_Archive.htm

"It was Wilson's interest in photography and his friendships with dancers that have led to the existence of this rich photographic ballet archive. A keen photographer since childhood, Wilson began photographing ballet in 1941. His enthusiasm and his ability to build lasting friendships gave him access to dancers not only in performance situations but also off-stage, in rehearsals and at social functions. Once the Second World War was over, Wilson's photographs began to appear in publications such as The Ballet Annual and Ballet Today and in 1957 he began his regular 'Off-Stage' column in the Dancing Times which continued until his death in 1984."

I remember GBL well from when I was a ballet student. He had so many contacts with European companies that he became careers adviser to students graduating from the Royal Ballet School, but unfortunately for me this was after I had left the school and had to audition without any advice. :( I also remember a visit he made to Israel as he had helped bring some English dancers to join the Israel Ballet company. I was teaching then for the company and school and invited him and the girls to supper at my home - we had a wonderful evening. It must have been in the late '70s. His photographs are beautiful and insightful and offer an invaluable historical record of the mid 20th century ballet world in Britain. He also published A Dictionary of Ballet (1974), which was pretty comprehensive for the time.

#93 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

This is a link to the G.B.L Wilson archive gallery at the Royal Academy of Dance http://www.arenapal....hic_Archive.htm

Thanks so much for the link -- I'm looking forward to browsing.

#94 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

[size=4][font=georgia,serif]"Photographer Willy Rizzo's best shoot". Interview by Andrew Pulver. The Guardian, 30 September 2009

http://www.guardian....izzo-best-shoot

Photographs include:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=georgia,serif]Balance a Trois (1956), with dancer and choreographer Jean Babilée leaping into the air[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=georgia,serif]Saut De L'ange (1955), with Roland Petit leaping into the air on the right[/font][/size]

#95 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Alfred Eisenstaedt was responsible for a number of famous dance images. Here's a cute one that also happens to be a great composition:

Posted Image

#96 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

A related article (mostly photos but some text)

Backstage with SFB’s Staff Photographer
By Erik Tomasson

http://www.sfballetb...f-photographer/

As the staff photographer for San Francisco Ballet, my job is to photograph the Company for advertising, press releases, brochures, and programs ...

#97 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I only like ballet live performances, movies and videos. Photographs do little for me.

#98 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

The Huffington Post article dirac posted in Links today has a Balanchine photo, said to be from 1962, that I don't remember seeing before. Does anyone know the photographer? One ballet photo book I regret not purchasing when I could find a cheaper copy is "Fred Fehl at New York City Ballet." I wonder if this is Fehl's shot.

o-BALANCHINE-570.jpg?1

#99 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

Actually, to answer my own question, the article includes a link to 13 NYCB photos by one Alfred Eisenstaedt, so the photo I posted is probably his as well.

#100 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

The Huffington Post article dirac posted in Links today has a Balanchine photo, said to be from 1962, that I don't remember seeing before. Does anyone know the photographer? One ballet photo book I regret not purchasing when I could find a cheaper copy is "Fred Fehl at New York City Ballet." I wonder if this is Fehl's shot.

o-BALANCHINE-570.jpg?1

Name that ballet!  Sorry, no prizes.  ;)

#101 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

albertina-rasch-dancers-1927-riorita-23.

I don't yet know the photographer, but this is one of my personal favorites from the world of dance.

[EDIT: This is a photo of the Albertina Rasch Dancers in costume for Rio Rita (1927). Photographed by Alfred Cheney Johnson.]

#102 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

So funny! ^^ They remind me of a flock of birds. :)

-d-

#103 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

So funny! ^^ They remind me of a flock of birds. smile.png

-d-

Hello Diane - "flock of birds" sounds about right. I thought that their poses were the perfect mix of stylization and natural movement.

I went ahead and added the credit information to my original post.

#104 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here's a few more photos of the Albertina Rasch Dancers. I enjoy the aesthetic of these old photos.

"Albertina Rasch (January 19, 1891 – October 2, 1967) was a naturalized American dancer and choreographer. Born in Vienna in what was then Austria-Hungary in 1891 to a family of Polish Jewish descent, Rasch studied at the Vienna State Opera Ballet school and became leading ballerina at the New York Hippodrome in 1911.

She formed her own dance troupe, The Albertina Rasch Girls, and the Rasch Ballet, starred in a number of Ziegfield productions. She also appeared at the Moulin Rouge, performed with Josephine Baker, toured with Sarah Bernhardt, and opened a Manhattan dance studio (where Bill Robinson taught tap) before adapting her classical training and techniques for the Broadway theatre and films."

Another photo by A. C. Johnson

albertina-rasch-dancers-001h-rio-rita-by

Photograph by Haz, 1931 Ziegfeld Follies

albertina-rasch-dancers-haz-1931-ziegfel

by Florence Vandamm 1927

albertina-rasch-dancers-by-florence-vand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):