This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are your favorite photographers of dance?

Here's a few more photos of the Albertina Rasch Dancers. I enjoy the aesthetic of these old photos.

"Albertina Rasch (January 19, 1891 – October 2, 1967) was a naturalized American dancer and choreographer. Born in Vienna in what was then Austria-Hungary in 1891 to a family of Polish Jewish descent, Rasch studied at the Vienna State Opera Ballet school and became leading ballerina at the New York Hippodrome in 1911.

She formed her own dance troupe, The Albertina Rasch Girls, and the Rasch Ballet, starred in a number of Ziegfield productions. She also appeared at the Moulin Rouge, performed with Josephine Baker, toured with Sarah Bernhardt, and opened a Manhattan dance studio (where Bill Robinson taught tap) before adapting her classical training and techniques for the Broadway theatre and films."

Another photo by A. C. Johnson

albertina-rasch-dancers-001h-rio-rita-by

Photograph by Haz, 1931 Ziegfeld Follies

albertina-rasch-dancers-haz-1931-ziegfel

by Florence Vandamm 1927

albertina-rasch-dancers-by-florence-vand

a few guesses here, some more confident than others:

The SYM C reh. moment is most likely by G.P.Lynes

The RUBIES shots of McBride are Swope

The MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM reh. with PMcB & GB is on the set of the Oberon film production (i have some prints of this same shoot and if i can lay hands on them i'll see if they're stamped w/ photographer's credit).

The Vogue Farrell is ?

The DON Q rehearsal kiss is a Life Magazine photographer's

The DON Q promo ?

4 hours ago, rg said:

a few guesses here, some more confident than others:

The SYM C reh. moment is most likely by G.P.Lynes

The RUBIES shots of McBride are Swope

The MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM reh. with PMcB & GB is on the set of the Oberon film production (i have some prints of this same shoot and if i can lay hands on them i'll see if they're stamped w/ photographer's credit).

The Vogue Farrell is ?

The DON Q rehearsal kiss is a Life Magazine photographer's

The DON Q promo ?

Thank you RG!

I agree that the Tanny photo is likely Lynes. I wonder if these Vogue and LIfe Magazine photos will become available to order online?