This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nina Ananiashvili to Take Maternity Leave

NINA ANANIASHVILI T0 TAKE MATERNITY LEAVE

Principal Dancer Nina Ananiashvili will take maternity leave from American Ballet Theatre for the 2005-2006 season.

Ananiashvili and her husband expect their first child in February 2006.

Dates for Ananiashvili’s return to American Ballet Theatre have not yet been determined.

This is wonderful news for Nina. I'm so happy for her and her husband. However, I do wonder if she will ever return to the ABT after the baby. She already took a leave of absence last season, and she's getting "up there" as far as age goes. I certainly hope she returns but ...

...Ananiashvili and her husband expect their first child in February 2006....

No news yet, but Nina is certainly keeping busy with her Georgian company. Bart Cook is scheduled to arrive in Tblisi next week to set a third (!) all-Balanchine program. This time three "black-and-white" neoclassical works. Georgia Today reports the program will debut on March 4. Also, her former partner Alexei Fadayechev (and his wife Tatyana) are preparing the company for Giselle, which will premiere March 17. For more details:

http://www.georgiatoday.ge/article_details.php?id=908

WELCOME BACK NINA!!! :(

Nina says she'll return to ballet dancing in 2007. From her official website:

"EXTRA SPECIAL BULLETIN! Nina gave birth to a baby girl on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2006. Mother and child are both in good health. Little Helene Vashadze, named after both her maternal and paternal grandmothers, weighed 3 kg (6.6 lbs) at birth and measured 52 cm (20.5 inches). Nina and Gregory are extremely happy and would like to thank all of those who have supported them throughout this eventful year. Nina plans to return to the ballet stage in 2007."

Thanks, drb, for that Link. It's one of the most informative articles about the career of a major dancer -- and the international ballet world in which they move -- that I've ever read. Issues about training, funding and patronage, repertoire, travel, as well as personal details, etc., go way beyond the usual dancer profile. It answered many questions I've had about how this kind of career develops and is carried on.

One small thing. Regarding her early training, concerns some difficulties the very young Ananiashvili had when moviong from a school in Georgia to the big leagues in Moscow:

QUOTE: "But when Mama was gone, they too got on her case. It was the Russian scolding approach to coaching: Whatever you do, "it's not good enough."

Is this indeed a typically Russian ballet school technique????