Kings of the DanceA "3 Tenors" situation?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:22 AM

Who gets to be Elssler and refuse to take part?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That may have been Acosta, who was listed as taking part in the original announcement .. which I no longer have so delete this if necessary.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hey, if this attracts 'John and Jane Q. Public' back to the ballet theaters of America, then I'm all for it. :)

#18 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

As previously noted on her website and under Vishneva in the Kirov-Mariinsky section, Diana will not appear in Kings of Dance. She will be busy rehearsing the Pugni/Lacotte "Ondine" for opening night of the Mariinsky Festival, March 6. The LA Times reported today that Roland Petite has chosen Tamiyo Kusakari of Tokyo's Asami Maki Ballet as her replacement.
http://www.latimes.c...1,4724504.story

#19 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:53 AM

I would guess it's safe to assume this is also true of the City Center engagement. You think?

#20 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

I would guess it's safe to assume this is also true of the City Center engagement. You think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the the 4 NY/CA performances used to be on the schedule on her website and are all now gone so..... I would consider that hard info as she seems to take
a lot of time with her site (or else has someone do it for her)

Someone had pointed out to her that her ABT dates this Summer in NYC didn't watch
what ABT had on their calendar and she admitted that she noted that and corrected it. I only say this because diferrent performers handle their sites in different degrees of care; she seems to use a lot

Richard

#21 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

There is a story in Playbill Arts today that confirms that Vishneva is out of Kings in NY & LA and states that Tamiyo Kusakari will replace her:

http://www.playbilla...ticle/3734.html

#22 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

It is perhaps worth mentioning the huge program change in Kings of Dance reported in today's Links by Dirac:
"Jeune Homme" is to be replaced by "The Lesson" with Alina Cojocaru, partnered by a different man each performance.

#23 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Now that it has become The Empress of Dance, with 4 Consorts, I checked out the City Center website to buy tickets for the NYC engagement. Best Buy seems to be Front Mezzanine. The three evenings have Row C Dead Center available at $75. Just three rows back of the $150 section (and orchestra is $100 with very good seats for opening night). Sunday matinee is a tougher ticket.

#24 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

It is perhaps worth mentioning the huge program change in Kings of Dance reported in today's Links by Dirac:
"Jeune Homme" is to be replaced by "The Lesson" with Alina Cojocaru, partnered by a different man each performance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drb thanks for the info, that is a very interesting turn of events. I must admit that Jeune Homme is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures and I was looking forward to seeing it again (esp with Steifel & Tsiskaridze and Vishneva as the woman). However trading it for The Lesson is a small price to pay for the privilege of seeing Ms. Cojocaru, she is truly incandescent. I've never seen Flindt's ballet, but descriptions indicated roles for a man and 2 women and City Center's website mentions "other guests from the Royal Ballet". Dare we also hope for a guest appearance by a prodigal daughter?

#25 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

I've never seen Flindt's ballet, but descriptions indicated roles for a man and 2 women and City Center's website  mentions "other guests from the Royal Ballet".  Dare we also hope for a guest appearance by a prodigal daughter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The other female role (the pianist) is more of an acting than a dancing role. At the ROH this role was undertaken by Zenaida Yanowsky and Deidre Chapman (in different casts). Yanowsky really made something of the character.

The Lesson is a violent and creepy piece. I wouldn't have imagined that it would appeal much to Amercican audiences, but maybe all the Four Kings want to get in touch with their inner psychopath.....

#26 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

Are you kidding? American audiences are going to love it. It's better than Jerry Springer.

#27 NNatalie

NNatalie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

It’s probably worth mentioning that according to Johan Kobborg’s website (http://www.kobborg.c.../diary/cal.html) Alina Cojocaru is only confirmed for the Orange County performances. For NY, the casting for the Student is still TBA. Could be because Cojocaru is supposed to dance Ballet Imperial with the RB on Feb 25.

#28 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

It’s probably worth mentioning that according to Johan Kobborg’s website (http://www.kobborg.c.../diary/cal.html) Alina Cojocaru is only confirmed for the Orange County performances. For NY, the casting for the Student is still TBA. Could be because Cojocaru is supposed to dance Ballet Imperial with the RB on Feb 25.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting information - considering that City Center's website has listed Cojocaru on the program for about a week now...

#29 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

Johan Kobborg's site now gives the casting for The Lesson. In California the Student will be Alina Cojocaru and the Pianist will be Zenaida Yanowsky. In New York they will be Gudrun Boejeson (RDB) and Dierdre Chapman, respectively. Since this is his production, I suspect he knows...

#30 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

Oooh. Nice casts. It's a nasty little ballet, but worth seeing on either coast for those dancers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):