This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"La Fille Mal Gardee" - History? Etc.....

I did a serarch here on Ballet Talk for anything on "La Fille mal Gardee" and there were slim pickins. It hasnt been talked about on here much in an in-depth way (at least that I know of......), and Ive got alot of questions regarding the ballet that I thought could start a good discussion of it.....

I was wondering if anyone knows, where did Ashton/Lanchbery get the music for the Royal Ballet version from? Is the score Lanchbery adapted from Imperial Russia?

I know Petipa staged "La Fille Mal Gardee" in 1885 for the Imperial Ballet to the music of Hertel....was this a brand new score or was it an adaptation of Herold's score or even of the music used for Dauberval's orignal version?

When/Why did the Kirov stop performing Petipa's/Ivanov's "Fille Mal Gardee"? I know many of the great ballerinas of old at the Imperial Ballet danced the role of Lise (Preobrajenska, Kschessinska, etc). Does any part of this staging survive? Are there any elements of this version in Ashton's version?

QuestionsQuestionsQuestionsQuestionsQuestionsQuestionsQuestionsQuestions......

w/o checking right now i'd say david vaughan's ashton book and ivor guest's little publication on the original and russian productions of FILLE would be good places to start piecing together information regarding the score(s).

as for the russian/petipa staging i suspect gorsky's 1903 version superceded most others once russian/soviet ballet moved into the 20th c.

baryshnikov's all-petipa program for ABT - which was telecast as a 'live from lincoln center' in 1981 and gave most of us our first glimpses of 'jardin anime' included a version of the FILLE pas de deux. (the diana joffe(?) staging of the PdD included a ballerina's vari. also sometimes said to be from HARLEQUINADE).

i've included some other items making ref. to FILLE in russia from the nypl dance coll. cat. (perhaps others here are aware of work done on the music and the russian version on stage(s) today.)

Classical heritage: Thirty variations from ballets by Russian choreographers 1990. 60 min. : sd. Color

Notes :Co-produced by Soyuzteatr and Sintez. Chief producer: A. Murtazin. Producer/writer: F. Slidovker. Camera: A. Tafel. In Russian with English subtitles.

:Issued in conjunction with the Russian-language publication by Soyuzteatr entitled Klassicheskoe nasledie: variatzii iz baletov Russkikh khoreografov (see: *MGTM 90-9614)

SUMMARY: Compilation of variations performed in the studio to piano accompaniment, in practice clothes, as a choreographic record.

CONTENTS: Swan lake: Act II, Odette's variation. Chor: Ivanov. Danced by Tatyana Chernobrovkina. -- Swan lake: Act III, Odile's variation. Chor: Grigorovich. Danced by Galina Shlapina. -- Swan lake: Act III, Odile's variation. Chor: Petipa. Danced by Chernobrovkina. -- Swan lake: Act III, Siegfried's variation. Chor: K. Sergeyev. Danced by Vladimir Malakhov. -- Swan lake: Act III, Siegfried's variation. Chor: Grigorovich. Danced by Malakhov. -- Swan lake: Act I, Pas de trois, male variation. Chor: K. Sergeyev. Danced by Malakhov. -- The sleeping beauty: Act I, Aurora's variation. Chor: Petipa. Danced by Shlapina. -- The sleeping beauty: Prologue, Lilac Fairy's variation. Chor: F. Lopukhov. Danced by Tatyana Yatsenko. -- The sleeping beauty: Act III, Désiré's variation. Chor: Sergeyev. Danced by Malakhov. -- The sleeping beauty: Act III, Bluebird's variation. Chor: Petipa. Danced by Malakhov. -- The nutcracker: Act II, Princess Masha's variation. Chor: Vasily Vainonen. Danced by Ludmila Vasilyeva. -- The nutcracker: Act II, Prince's variation. Chor: Vainonen. Danced by Malakhov. -- The nutcracker: Act II, Marie's variation. Chor: Grigorovich. Danced by Tatyana Paliey. -- The nutcracker: Act II, Prince's variation. Chor: Grigorovich. Danced by Stanislav Isayev. -- Raymonda: Act I, Raymonda's variation with a scarf. Chor: Petipa. Danced by Shlapina. -- Raymonda: Act III, Raymonda's variation. Chor: Petipa. Danced by

: Susanna Avetisova. -- Chopiniana: Prelude. Chor: Fokin. Danced by Svetlana Tsoy. -- Chopiniana: [Woman's] mazurka. Chor: Fokin. Danced by Olga Ivanova. -- Chopiniana: Waltz. Chor: Fokin. Danced by Ivanova. -- Chopiniana: [Man's] mazurka. Chor: Fokin. Danced by Dmitry Zababurin. -- Don Quixote: Act IV, Kitri's variation. Chor: Petipa. Danced by Paliey. -- Don Quixote: Act IV, Basil's variation. Chor: A. Ermolaev, V. Vasilyev. Danced by Vadim Bondar. -- Don Quixote: Dream scene, Kitri's variation. Chor: A. Gorsky. Danced by Chernobrovkina. -- Don Quixote: Act IV, female variation. Chor: Gorsky. Danced by Liliy Musovarova. -- Coppélia: Act III, Swanilda's variation. Chor: Gorsky. Danced by Vasilyeva. -- La fille mal gardée: Act II, Lise's variation. Chor: Gorsky. Danced by Paliey. -- La fille mal gardée: [act unspecified], Colin's variation. Chor: Gorsky. Danced by Malakhov. -- Le corsaire: Act II, Slave's variation. Chor: V. Chabukiani. Danced by Ilgis Galimullin. -- La bayadère: Act II, Gamzatti's variation. Chor: Chabukiani. Danced by Vasilyeva. -- La bayadère: Act IV, Kingdom of the shades, Solor's variation. Chor: Chabukiani. Danced by Bondar.

La fille mal gardée pas de deux (ca. 11 min.) / recorded at the Metropolitan Opera House on July 7, 1973 ; choreography, Aleksandr Gorski ; danced by Nadezhda Pavlova and Vyacheslav Gordeyev of the Bolshoi Ballet.

Fille mal gardée: Original title: Tshchetnaia predostorozhnost'. Chor: Aleksandr Gorski; mus: Peter Hertel; lib: Dauberval. First perf: Moscow, Bolshoi Theater, Dec 7, 1903 (O.S.)

There is a very in-depth article on La Fille mal Gardee's music in the recent production of the Australian Ballet's La Fille programme. There is also an article on the life of La Fille (all its adaptations etc) and an article on Lanchberry. If you have access to it, it has heaps of info, if not I might scan it in so you can read it.

Classical heritage: Thirty variations from ballets by Russian choreographers 1990. 60 min. : sd. Color

Notes :Co-produced by Soyuzteatr and Sintez. Chief producer: A. Murtazin. Producer/writer: F. Slidovker. Camera: A. Tafel. In Russian with English subtitles.

:Issued in conjunction with the Russian-language publication by

WOW! Where can one get a hold of that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Id love to get a hold of that - is it a video set???? DVD?

so far as i know this was released in a now-defunct soviet production/label at the time, there was the cassette (as described in the cat. entry posted earlier) and 2 folios of booklets (in russiana, as vol. 1 & vol. 2) with explications of the variations in dance-notation-like text accompanying their related music for piano. NYC's now defunct 'ballet shop' sold both the 1990 cassette and the booklets at the time; they were pricey. (another now-defunct bookstore of russian language publications etc. that was in lower manhattan also sold the booklets some time in the mid-1990s, butas noted, this establishment is no longer in business in nyc.) i haven't heard of the video's being re-issued as either tape or disc. i suspect this little producing outfit went bust in the wake of the breakup of the soviet union.

the NYPL for Per Arts (dance coll.) has a copy of the tape - it's that cat. entry that i posted; also, the booklets, i presume.

What you have to remember in the case of "La Fille Mal Gardée" is that whatever is left of Dauberval's 18th century Bordeaux production is probably limited to some bits of mime and the rough plotline. The music (adapted from French popular airs) and steps are lost to time.

There is a chapter on the Maryinsky versions of "Fille" done by Lev Ivanov (alone or with collaborators) in Roland John Wiley's "The Life and Ballets of Lev Ivanov" published by Oxford University Press. "Fille Mal Gardée" was popularized in Russia by the Italian ballerina Virginia Zucchi who danced a version similar to what she did in Berlin. This Zucchi version that was done in Russia in the 1870's and 1880's was largely cribbed from a 1864 version done in Berlin by Paul Taglioni with music by Hertel and then adapted and revised by Ivanov and Petipa in 1885 for various later revivals with Kschessinskaya and Vinogradova.

The Ashton version has music by Herold that steals many pages from Rossini.

Supposedly the Ballet de Nantes did a (Lacotte style?) "reconstruction" by one Ivo Cramer of what the Dauberval might have looked like in 1789. Anyone see this?

Here is a link to a DanceView Times review of the Ashton from which I refreshed my memory as to names and dates:

http://www.danceviewtimes.com/2005/Winter/04/fille.htm

ivo camer's 'historical' version w/ the BALLET DU RHIN toured to the states, Wash. D.C.and the west coast, i believe.

i thought it more reliable for the scenic elements and the french song-score; i thought the mime sorely exaggerated and far too broad for me to credit as 18th c. pantomime. i was particularly put off by the scenery-chewing rendering of simone.

If I recall correctly, the original Herold version of the score was put together for an 1828 production whose choreographer I cannot now recall. Lanchbery started the creation process with Ashton by discovering a repetiteur containing the 6/8 parts of the score, and bringing it to the choreographer's attention. The Rossini bits in the score, particularly the opening number, are frequently taken from The Barber of Seville, I suspect because Fille and that opera share a subtitle "Useless Precautions". The Elssler pas de deux is a pastiche of Donizetti tunes from L'Elisir d'Amore.

here's what NYPL dance coll. cat. says for the 1828 FILLE:

Fille mal gardée : Chor: Jean Aumer after Dauberval; mus: probably the score used for the original Dauberval version; lib: Dauberval. First perf. at Vienna: Hoftheater, Aug 31, 1809.//First perf. in Paris: Opéra, Nov 17, 1828, Paris Opera Ballet; mus: Louis J. F. Hérold including some melodies from the score for the Dauberval version and two numbers from Rossini operas; a pas de deux choreographed by Ferdinand Albert and a pas de trois choreographed by Filippo Taglioni.

I.Guest's FILLE book (in a section authored by lanchbery) notes the following info from title p. of the Herold version of the score for paris:

LA FILLE MAL GARDEE

Ballet en 2 actes de Dauberval

mis en scene par Mr Aumer, musique nouvellement arrangee par Mr Herold represente sur le theatre de l'academie Royale de musique le lundi 8 decembre 1828