This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tamara Rojo as Marguerite

Rojo made her debut in Ashton's Marguerite & Armand last night - only the third person ever to dance the role. It was a long-awaited occasion and in my eyes she had a triumphant success - not only giving a richly detailed and very moving performance herself, but also (with the help of Federico Bonelli as Armand) giving us back a ballet which had become nothing but a background for Sylvie Guillem's tour de force. I saw Fonteyn and Nureyev but not till the 1970s and I think I can truly say that last night's performance was the most moving I've ever seen.

And I would add my agreement too to both Ami and Jane's posts, Rojo and Bonelli were deeply moving and brought beauty and passion to the ballet that I had not seen previously. They truely made the choreography and especially the music come alive for me.

I do think Tamara brings out the very best in her partners - I would love to see her dance with Federico again. :flowers: