This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The organization is a bit lets say old fashioned. You probably will never find a competitor list on the net at least no official one. Throughout the competition they also do not update the site.

Admin Propeller Beanie On

This isn't in response to any post so far, but before the competition heats up, I want to be clear about the rules for posting about Varna, because there were misunderstandings during our discussions of the recent Jackson IBC:

1. Only official news may be posted about competitors and results. This is limited to published or broadcast results and to eye-witness accounts from the point of view of an audience member.

The only exception is:

2. If you are a dancer who is already registered here as of today, posting under your own name, you may post your own results.

This means: no info from parents, teachers, classmates, friends, or co-competitors.

This is standard Ballet Talk policy. We realize that there are different rules on Ballet Talk for Dancers and want to be clear up front.

Admin Propeller Beanie Off

At the moment this site seems to be working, but with Varna, you never know. They just don't seem to care...

http://www.varnaibc.org/

It gives rules and programs for the 22nd IBC (this year's) and results for the 21st. Plus some history. So who knows what they may say in the following days... They're Varna, why should they bother, the ballet world is prostrate at their feet.

I'm new to following the big international competitions, so I have a question:

why does Varna follow Jackson so closely? :yahoo:

I thought these competeition were supposed to be spaced more evenly across the calendar.

I'm new to following the big international competitions, so I have a question:

why does Varna follow Jackson so closely? :D

I thought these competeition were supposed to be spaced more evenly across the calendar.

The Varna Ballet Competition was founded in 1964 which makes it the first international competition of its kind. The Jackson Competition originally followed the same rules but has I understand, now amended them. The Varna competition has always been held around the first two weeks of July. It is an audience marathon(or can be) with the competition in the evening and if you are determined enough to gain access, there is the opportunity to watch rehearsals(through the night) and classes in the morning and afternoon as well as stage rehearsals. In the beginning it attracted Vladimir Vassiliev, Natalia Makarova, Eva Evdokimova, Mikhail Barishnikov, Natalia Bessmertnova, Patrick Dupond, Sylvie Guillem, Agnes Letestu, Yoko Morishita, Martin Van Hamel, Evelin Hart, Loipa Araujo, Vladimir Malakhov, Fernando Bujones, Maximilliano Guerrra, Marin Boierou etc.

Yes, indeed! As per official results, MATHIAS DINGMAN (son of BT's mouse) has won the GOLD at Varna (junior division). His partner SASHA DE SOLA has won the BRONZE (junior division). What a huge success for these amazing young dancers! You do North America so proud!!!

:yahoo::toot: :party-smiley-017: :flowers::clapping:

Kirov Academy website

Sofia News Agency reported today:

A hotel in Varna, on the Black Sea coast, saw its premises closed off by police on Monday. The reason was a call threat saying there is a bomb planted in the hotel. Police cordoned off the area and evacuated the guests of the hotel - the majority of whom are participants in the last-night closed International Ballet Contest Varna 2006. No explosive was disclosed, so guests and hosts of the hotel returned back to normal routine in the afternoon.