This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Technical Questions

Am I allowed to post questions about ballet technique and teaching in this forum, or must I register in the Ballet Talk for Dancers forum? I basically want to know how good pilates is for ballet student and whether it is worth spending time on pilates when there are only a very limied number of lessons available for students every week. I also have questions about teaching boys, such as what the best age is for starting their training and how many ballet lessons they should have a week (and how long). However, I'll wait to find out whether I am out of bounds or not before I post more questions.

Am I allowed to post questions about ballet technique and teaching in this forum, or must I register in the Ballet Talk for Dancers forum? I basically want to know how good pilates is for ballet student and whether it is worth spending time on pilates when there are only a very limied number of lessons available for students every week. I also have questions about teaching boys, such as what the best age is for starting their training and how many ballet lessons they should have a week (and how long). However, I'll wait to find out whether I am out of bounds or not before I post more questions.

If you can include Pilates in your school's curriculum, that's great. Pilates mat exercises are ubiquitious for most dancers now and help to develop greater flexibility and core strength. I wouldn't necessarily start to invest in the Pilates machines like the "Reformer" and the other paraphenalia because it's quite expensive, and you don't know the demand from your students yet.

As for trading off ballet classes for Pilates classes, I would stick with ballet classes but make students aware of Pilates. Many of the exercises students can learn quickly and do on their own. You may give an orientation class or two and see who takes to it. But Pilates shouldn't take the place of technique class. It will definitely build the muscle groups that will help with pirouettes and jetes, but it doesn't teach students to move or approach technique. Only old-fashion ballet class does that. Pilates is a great resource and builds allignment, strength, and flexibilty. but it does not take the place of technique class.

Edited by carolina

[donning Moderator's beanie]

Actually, ostrich, this question is off-topic for this forum. It is completely appropriate for BalletTalk for Dancers, though. Acquiring skills and technique are not within the scope of this board.

I'll leave the question and carolina's reply, but I'm going to close the topic to further discussion.

[doffing Moderator's beanie]