This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Darcey Bussell to retire

Kate B

I hope the right place to post is here:

"Darcey Bussell, one of Covent Garden's biggest crowd-pullers and the most popular British ballerina since Margot Fonteyn, announced her retirement as principal dancer with the Royal Ballet yesterday."

The Daily Telegraph

I have always known this would happen sooner or later. I just hope I get the chance to see her perform again before she goes. She is, in my opinion, one of the most wonderful dancers I have ever seen.

Helene's point is important here. She's continuing through this season. After that, she's retiring as *principal* with the company and will be Principal Guest Artist - with few contractural obligations and a greater ability to have her own say in both rep and partners (who, at this stage, are increasingly also guest artists). It also gives her greater flexibility to guest elsewhere.

Helene's point is important here.  She's continuing through this season.  After that, she's retiring as *principal* with the company and will be Principal Guest Artist - with few contractural obligations and a greater ability to have her own say in both rep and partners (who, at this stage, are increasingly also guest artists).  It also gives her greater flexibility to guest elsewhere.

The whole time I saw Margot Fonteyn (from the late 60s well into the 70s) with the RB she danced under this kind of arrangement.

And I believe she started this well before I saw her, back in the early-mid 60s

This is not to quess how long Bussell will dance on this kind of basis but it could be one season or a couple of them

Richard