• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

Who played the part of the sultan? My connection was never good enough for me to be able to recognise his face, but what I could see of his dancing looked superb! And that Odette in the short clip they showed during the interval - I would love to know who she was.

Was anyone able to see the whole broadcast without interruption? I would be interested to know.

Are there any movie clips of the Bolshoi available online?

#17 dachnitsa

dachnitsa

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:57 AM

@ Ostrich

Just a short reply, since I should go and see after our guests:

Rinat Arifulin (soloist) is dancing Abderakhman

concerning Odette, I think it must be Svetlana Zakharova ( I will have a closer look at the trailer next Saturday, when I am in the Bolshoi again)

Clips of Mariya Alexandrova can be found at
http://m-alex-video....d.ru/index.html

#18 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:33 AM

Yes, with a refresh rate of 1 image per second, very painterly--like Manet or Gerhardt Richter.

The last act variations came over very nicely, and so very familiar since I know them as Pas de Dix of Balanchine from the Eglevsky-Maria Tallchief video. Does anyone know if any parts of Balanchine's version have made their way back into the Bolshoi version, or is it that
Balanchine is fairly faithful to the original?

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:29 PM

According to the www.cultu.ru website, there will be repeats over 24 hours. they also do webcasts of other kinds of production.

Their notice is copied below. I've also re-copied dachnitsa's original link to the website, since I know this kind of thread might be more confusing than our ordinary threads.

Have a look at http://www.cultu.ru/.../2005/raymonda/

QUOTE:
Wired Broadband Connection.
Starting at 10 a. m. Moscow Time (GMT +3), on we will be broadcasting each production continuously for 24 hours.

Showtime schedule will be posted on our website. Regardless of the time zone you live in you'll be able to choose the most suitable time for viewing the broadcast. Throughout the day we will also be posting updated list of mirror links for viewing the broadcasting. Most of the productions will be broadcasted with English subtitles.

In order to watch internet broadcasting you will need PC with fast internet connection (i. e. cable modem, DSL, ADSL, LAN.) In most cases dial-up connection with speed of 56K and less will be insufficient for proper reception. Even if you will be able to see the stream, the quality of the broadcast will be low, and is likely to disappoint rather than to please the viewer.

Please be considerate of your expenses. Viewing video stream is traffic-savvy. The actual traffic volume, i. e. the information your PC exchanges with your internet provider, is derivative of the speed of your internet connection and the duration of your viewing session. We recommend signing up for a flat monthly fee plan with no traffic and/or time restrictions. Many internet providers worldwide are offering such plans by now.

We will broadcast in Real Video and Windows Media formats. English subtitles will be available only in Real Video format.

This option is currently available to our audience in Russia (except Kamchatka and Chukotka), in Eastern and Central Europe, Middle East and Central Asia. These territories are covered by YAMAL-200 and EXPRESS AM22 satellites. In order to receive our broadcast via one of those satellites you will need a dish and DVB receiver. You'll also need to contact customer service of the satellite operator to help you direct and tune up your dish. The procedure itself is not very complicated, but the advantage you get with satellite connection is enormous, as you will be viewing our stream in nearly TV quality. Besides in many cities in Russia there are Internet Viewing Centers properly setup to receive our programming. Please remember that we broadcast our programs in internet format, not as a TV signal. Besides, our satellite broadcast, unlike wired internet, will be repeated only 23 times during the day for the most populated time zones in Russia.

Two satellite networks are offering their broadcasting services for our programming: ICFED with its ever expanding network of Distant Learning Centers in more than 40 regions of Russia is broadcasting in Real Video format; ComSat Kultura with Viewing Centers in regional libraries, museums and other cultural centers is broadcasting in Windows Media format.

#20 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

THANKS! It is on now, and the picture quality is way up!

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:33 PM

grrrrrr! I'm in the midst of a big dowload (via 56K dialup). :angry2:

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

dachnitsa, thank you so much for sharing this link and source with us!

:angry2: :thanks:

I was only able to see a small part of Act II, because the broadcast started 8am on the West Coast, but I did get to see Florence's, Henrietta's, and Raymonda's solos, before I had to drag myself away to go to a seminar. It was a real thrill to see them, and I hope to catch the entire ballet during one of the repeats.

#23 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

Was the production broadcasted as bad as the Raymonda they released on DVD?

#24 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Was the production broadcasted as bad as the Raymonda they released on DVD?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I write this Act 2 is about to begin (I think there are about three more reruns to go before it is gone). It is really very well produced (I mean the video direction), no fast cutting, you really get to see the flow of the choreography. It is hard to think of a commercial video that is so balletomane oriented! The corps looks impressive, the male dancing is certainly a notch above what we saw this summer at the Met. The ballerinas are fine: how surprising that co-Prima Masha Alexandrova is in a soloist role! Not a "six o'clock" in sight. I think it is very favorable publicity for the Bolshoi.

#25 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:54 PM

Could anyone identify the woman (teacher, coach?) who was clearly much loved by Mariya Allash and the audience during the quite triumphant final curtain calls?
Also, a fine photo set of Allash (click Raymonda) in Raymonda, including rehearsal and receiving coaching from Grigorovich:
http://www.bolshoi.o...h/photo-eng.htm

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

As I write this Act 2 is about to begin (I think there are about three more reruns to go before it is gone).  It is really very well produced (I mean the video direction), no fast cutting, you really get to see the flow of the choreography.  It is hard to think of a commercial video that is so balletomane oriented!  The corps looks impressive, the male dancing is certainly a notch above what we saw this summer at the Met.  The ballerinas are fine: how surprising that co-Prima Masha Alexandrova is in a soloist role!  Not a "six o'clock" in sight.  I think it is very favorable publicity for the Bolshoi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree -- the camera work was spot on through at least the middle of Act II (when I had to leave to go to the opera). This would be an incredible DVD to have; the women -- Allash, Alexandrova, and Shipulina -- have been gorgeous so far, and the men are strong. (I haven't gotten to Act III and Nioridze yet. I'm not sure I can stay up that long :angry2: ) Allash has been a pure delight so far.

The download page lists Yuri Grigorovich and Nataliya Bessmertnova as the choreographers. Could it have been Bessmertnova who coached Allash?

#27 dachnitsa

dachnitsa

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

The website of the Bolshoi is stating that yesterdays perfomance has been dedicated to Tatina Golikova's end of career as balletmaster-rehearser.
(Tatiana Golikova has been working with both, Mariya Alexandrova and Mariya Allash.)

#28 Dr. Coppelius

Dr. Coppelius

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:34 AM

The download page lists Yuri Grigorovich and Nataliya Bessmertnova as the choreographers. Could it have been Bessmertnova who coached Allash?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and I think she did the same with Eleonora Abbagnato in the POB perfomance of Ivan the terrible, where she is listed as "assistant choreographer"

#29 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

The website of the Bolshoi is stating that yesterdays perfomance has been dedicated to Tatina Golikova's end of career as balletmaster-rehearser.
(Tatiana Golikova has been working with both, Mariya Alexandrova and Mariya Allash.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for info. Did not look like Bessmertnova. Beautiful woman, not unlike some old web photos of Golikova. Hopefully one of our Moscow posters will clarify the issue.

#30 ina

ina

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

Yesterday's "Raymonda" was dedicated to Golikova to celebrate her tripple(!) jubilee: 60th birthday on October 14, 40 years since joining the Bolshoi and 10 years of coaching at the Bolshoi. By no means it can be considered as the end of her carreer. She works now with Maria Alexandrova, Maria Allash, Anna Rebetskaya...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):