This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Some changes in 2006 Rep Season

I just wanted to call your attention to the following changes in the upcoming season at SF Ballet, which are now reflected in the Sticky at the top of this forum:

*Magrittomania and Apollo have switched places. Magrittomania is now part of Program 3, and Apollo part of Program 2.

*The TBA in Program 2 will be a new ballet called Blue Rose, choreographed by Helgi Tomasson with music by Elena Kats-Chernin.

*Balanchine's Rubies will replace Who Cares? (also by Balanchine); Forsythe's Artifact Suite will replace Pas/Parts (also a Forsythe ballet). Artifact Suite would also be an SFB premiere.

*Other Dances has been added to the all-Robbins program, although the season listing on the website has it down as "Other Pieces." :clapping: (The correct name is given elsewhere.) Whatever the webmasters think it's called, it's a company premiere. (I have a sneaking suspicion that Tomasson, his artistic staff, and the dancers are well aware of the proper name of this ballet.)

It will be interesting to see what other changes, if any, are in store for us. The Sticky on the 2006 Repertory Season will be updated as necessary, and I will note those changes in this thread.

Also, feel free to comment on these changes... :flowers:

I found the following description of Artifact Suite on EdinburghGuide.com:

This is a shorter adaptation of the original full length Artifact IV [1984] created by William Forsythe in collaboration with composer Eva Crossman-Hecht. It starts in silence with house lights up as the audience come back from the interval, surprised and confused to see a dancer already on stage. She walks across and stides around the stage. The safety curtain suddenly thumps to the ground. Bach’s Chaconne in D minor for solo violin now fills the theatre evoking both beauty and sadness as two couples create exaggerated circular movements with their arms in semaphore signalling fashion. The curtain crashes down, stopping the dance in mid flow.  In the contrasting second half, Crossman-Hecht’s joyous piano score is performed live as the entire company, all dressed in uniform blue/grey costumes perform in a free-flowing, abstract, expressionistic style. An inspired scene is a chorus line of 12 male dancers with linked arms. The synchronised, hypnotic music and dance rhythm with the ensemble clapping in unison is absolutely flawless, growing with amazing force to its dramatic conclusion.

http://www.edinburghguide.com/aande/theatr...ishballet.shtml

It sounds as if only a movement of Artifact II is included in the Suite.

http://www.edinburghguide.com/aande/theatr...ishballet.shtml

It sounds as if only a movement of Artifact II is included in the Suite.

Thanks so much for the clarification -- I've never had the chance to see Forsythe's work on it's home company, and I understand there's a great deal of difference between that and the "works for export."

I wish my budget stretched to a trip to San Francisco!