This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty in Stuttgart

cadancelover...well, so is mine although she has been there for several years. :P . Wish we could get more info from Stuttgart. There are several people who report from time to time but they have not posted yet this year.

How is your dd doing in her new environs? Well I would hope. My dd loves Stuttgart.

Regards...Doug.

I do not know exact numbers but I suspect there are 4 to 6 Americans and several Canadians. Many countries are represented in the Stuttgart Ballet. With all the ethnic diversity, they are a very tight knit group. Little if any carping or back-biting. Lots of internal support for each other.

...Doug.

Hi Doug and all the others,

there are two nice reviews on www.tanznetz.de (only in German, that's the pity...)!

Went to see one performance on 29 September - t flat out with work at this stage, so just a few notes:

Lovely production - based on the Petipa version, but Marcia Haydée adds a lot to Carabosse (portrayed by a male dancer) and thus very nicely tells a story. Sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose help a lot - trees grow, fashion changes, it's easy to follow the story even without having read the programme.

Cast on 29 September included:

Maria Eichwald (Aurora) - delicate, elegant, very young and fresh - I particularly like the way she really looks at her partners (as a contrast to some dancers, she notices them!).

Friedemann Vogel (Desiré) - very fine elegant classical dancer, good partner. Only wish he'd sometimes look at his partner a bit more - he's best when dancing alone...

Douglas Lee (Carabosse) - was his second performance only. I was impressed, but who would not be so, the costume, make-up and the whole role are impressive. Regular ballet-goers told me there was so much more in this role if performed really well as in this ballet, Carabosse stands for the evil that's always present - he/she has a lot to do with props, so hopefully Douglas Lee will remember his acting strength once used to all that stuff!

Anna Osadczenko/Jason Reilly (Bluebird pdd) - she's one of the young girls standing out from the crowd, nice stage presence, good technique. And he's brilliant - even in this small but important role!

By the way, Douglas Lee is English, Jason Reilly is Canadian. Not sure about other nationalities....

And Doug, Liz looked absolutely lovely as one of the fairies in the prologue. Wish I had seen her Florine, though :)

Oh nuts....I too wish you could have seen her Florine. She originally performed that when she was at the Kirov Academy some years ago. She and Anna have been friends since their Cranko School days. Both went to Lausanne together and have been promoted together. I think Liz did the fairy as a stand in...she was not scheduled to dance that night.

We are hoping (and planning) to get to Germany to see Onegin in January. Not sure what she will be doing as casts have not been posted yet. Perhaps we might meet up then.

Regards...Doug.

Thanks, Jasper, for your review. I was paricularly interested to hear about Friedemann Vogel's performance, as I have very recently seen him dance the same role in South African Ballet Theatre's production of Sleeping Beauty. I am very surprised that you find he didn't look at his partner enough. In the 2 performances I saw him in, I was particularly struck by his attention and "dedication" to his ballerina (Angela Malan). He is indeed a very elegant dancer, with exquisite musicality and a radiant stage presence.