With or without epilogue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:52 PM

Which companies perform the epilogue and which don't? The epilogue being Solor and Gamzatti's wedding day and as soon as they say "I do", there is a great storm and everyone is killed (including Solor) and Nikiya and Solor are once again united in the kingdom of the shades.

#2 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

The Epilogue you mention is really (as far as I know) Act IV of the original production. The Royal Ballet includes Makarova's imagining of it, and I believe the Kirov's reconstruction of La Bayadère includes the original Act IV.

#3 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

I just finished watching a video of Paris Opera's Nureyev staging (the video is of the premiere, I think), and there is no Act IV. I thought I had missed something!

#4 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:12 AM

No, in the original Act IV I believe is the shades. This is another good topic, I will post it now.

#5 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

Minkus Pugni, you really must get hold of some literature based on sources and read it. Hans is quite right, Shades was originally Act III Scene 5. Act IV is Scene 7 and subtitled "The god's wrath." The ballet concludes with an apotheosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):