• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

to Makarovafan:
You're right about Gediminas Taranda in Raymonda. He is the best of all the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Abdulrahkmans in any of the productions. and he was also terrific in Golden Age, sent chills down one's back.[/size][/font]

#17 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

Taranda is amazing in the Raymonda.....I think the Bolshoi's Raymonda is really the only Raymonda that gives Abderakhman any kind of thrilling choreography, so that is part of the reason, but he is amazing period.

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

...I think the Bolshoi's Raymonda is really the only Raymonda that gives Abderakhman any kind of thrilling choreography, ....

Nureyev's final version for POB could almost be subtitled "Abderakhman" it has so much new dancing and 'funky-modern' solos for that character. I happen to love it because it is so Nureyev...totally what RN was all about! Besides, RN was smart enough to maintain most of the existing Kirov-Mariinsky portions -- building & adding to them, in his fashion. It is THE longest production of Raymonda, beside the La Scala...most complete use of the music, I mean.

#19 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

...I think the Bolshoi's Raymonda is really the only Raymonda that gives Abderakhman any kind of thrilling choreography, ....

Nureyev's final version for POB could almost be subtitled "Abderakhman" it has so much new dancing and 'funky-modern' solos for that character. I happen to love it because it is so Nureyev...totally what RN was all about! besides, RN was smart enough to maintain most of the existing Kirov-Mariinsky portions -- building & additing to them, in his fashion. It is THE longest production of Raymonda, beside the La Scala...most complete use of the music.

Oh, I forgot about that! I have only seen it online, but you are right. I liked watching the new choreography too, although sometimes it doesn't blend as well. I keep hoping a commercial (clean) copy of the Nureyev Raymonda will be released. Agnes Marie Gillot's Wikipedia entry lists it as one of her videos (in preparation), but it has been "in preparation" for a long time while the La Scala Raymonda came out within the same season as it was performed! I wonder what the hold up is. Dorothee Gilbert's solos are the main reason I want that version. But at this point I guess the Nureyev Raymonda is not going to be released. I also love the way the corps moves in wild circles interweaving among each other at the apotheosis. That was a Nureyev invention, and I like it.

#20 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Nureyev's final version for POB could almost be subtitled "Abderakhman" it has so much new dancing and 'funky-modern' solos for that character. I happen to love it because it is so Nureyev...totally what RN was all about! Besides, RN was smart enough to maintain most of the existing Kirov-Mariinsky portions -- building & adding to them, in his fashion. It is THE longest production of Raymonda, beside the La Scala...most complete use of the music, I mean.

The old Kirov production has Abderakhman from the very beginning. He's constantly on. In this production he looks and acts like in the movie Thief of Bagdad. Anyone agree or think otherwise?

#21 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

The old Kirov production has Abderakhman from the very beginning. He's constantly on. In this production he looks and acts like in the movie Thief of Bagdad. Anyone agree or think otherwise?

Yes, he is in a lot in the Kirov version. It is fun to compare and contrast. I think I like his dancing best in the Bolshoi version.

#22 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yes, he is in a lot in the Kirov version. It is fun to compare and contrast. I think I like his dancing best in the Bolshoi version.

yes, i agree with you.

#23 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

The website for the Imperial Russian Ballet seems years(!) out of date but I came across this featurette today.  The company seems to be about to tour in Australia:

http://www.illawarra...longong/?cs=298

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,150 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thank you so much for the heads up, JMcN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):