This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peasant Pas de Deux

MinkusPugni

I have recently noticed that the girls' variation from the Peasant Pas changes. One of them is similar to Dulcinea's variation in Don Q with the glissades in to pose attitude and the other has staccato music played by the oboe. The Kirov does the first one and the Bolshoi does the second one. On my recording of Giselle, the music is of the second one. Which one is the original and why are there two?

Does the Bonynge recording of GISELLE include the Peasant pas? I believe it includes what I have listed below.

I have the Mario Bros edition of the GISELLE piano score that includes the PAS DES PAYSANS by Burgmuller. THe numbers are as follows:

3/4 Moderato in D major

6/8 Adagio in G major

Variation 1 - 2/4 Allegretto in D Major

Variation 2 - 2/4 Allegretto in G major with running 16th notes in the melody throughout (I believe this is the female variation)

Variation 3 - 6/8 Allegretto in E major

Coda 3/4 Allegro in D major

Yes, Doug, the piece full of semi-quavers that you refer to is the Bolshoi Peasant Pas Girl Variation. So if this is the real variation, where did the music for the Kirov variation come from? Why did they put it in there? I actually like both variations, they're both technically challenging and pretty at the same time.

R. S. Edgecombe, whom i met on this site and who lives and works in s. africa and is a scholar of 19th c. music. is coincidentally about to publish an essay on the identities of interpolations to 'standard' ballet scores. at his prodding i gave him some leads to identify this kirov peasant pas d.d. female variation after he reached a helpful librarian in st. petersburg's theater museum. he's now put his scholarship into an article he's submitting for publication,which will also include the source of isolated variations from the GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE from PAQUITA, as soon as he publishes his findings i'll post a link or provide a summary here.

according to Edgecombe's findings, spelled out in some detail in "A ragbag of ballet music oddments" [brolga, December 2005], the female variation of the Peasant Pas de Deux danced in the current Kirov Ballet production of GISELLE, is a solo inserted by Vaganova for her 1932 staging of the ballet. The variation comes from Ivanov's 1890 one-act ballet CUPID'S PRANK. This work was first danced by Varvara Nikitina, and was 'inhereted' by Vaganova when she danced Nikitina's character, the numph Oreada, when CUPID'S PRANK was given in 1897. The music for the ballet and thus, one assumes for the variation, is that of Aleksandr Friedman.

Ivanov's CUPID'S PRANK, should not, btw, be confused with Petipa's 1900, one-act, Glazunov ballet, LES RUSES D'AMOUR, also known as, THE TRIALS OF DAMIS, OR THE PRANKS OF LOVE.