This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I rewatched Act 1 this afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised at how well Act 1 holds up as a film. There are all these little details that only can work in close-up -- i.e. the smirk on Bruce Marks' face when he exposes Albrecht, the tear that rolls down Carla Fracci's left cheek during her mad scene, etc..

Speaking of Fracci, her dramatic performance is extraordinary. If this film had been made during the silent movie era, I truly believe that audiences and critics of that day would have hailed her performance as masterpiece of silent movie acting.

Interestingly, some of the weird touches the director employed didn't bother me nearly as much as they did on my last viewing. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at how much pure dancing made it to the screen. Even the peasant pas deux, where I had thought Eleanor D'Antuono and Ted Kivitt got the worst of the director's whimsical embellishments, was better than what I remembered it as being. There's more of their dancing captured than I had thought and what you can see gives lie to the slander that American dancers of that era had no technique.