This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Natalia OsipovaBolshoi dancer

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

Osipova fans, I need your help!

Does anybody know if she will be dancing in the super short ABT span at City Centre this fall, or in the regular ABT season spring 2013? Or any other shows in the U.S. in the next year?

I ask b/c I live in Seattle and bought Mikhailovsky @ Koch tickets to see her, which of course were refunded. Then I tried to catch her in La Bayadere on Memorial Day and Bright Stream two days later but sadly she was ill.

I am now considering flying over to see her in Firebird on June 23. Misty Copeland is dancing the matinee so I figured I could see her too. But airfares are horrendously expensive, so if there a good chance I can catch her next year I might wait. I noticed in the program it now says "Principal as of 2012", and she used to be listed "Guest Artist". But with all the changes at Mikhailovsky I'm afraid we can't count on anything.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Also I have not seen her since 2010 so if anybody has any observations on how she is evolving, I'd love to read!!!

If you didn't read the Bayadere reviews from ABT, you should. Most people felt she was great as Gamzatti. I have to say that I wasn't prepared for how she just ate up the scenery in a good way. When she was on stage you could not take your eyes off her. Her acting was as impressive as her dancing. I wrote in that topic thread that she countered her evil (which could have devolved into caricature) with longing love for Solor, so the whole thing worked at least for me.

#92 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Osipova fans, I need your help!

Does anybody know if she will be dancing in the super short ABT span at City Centre this fall, or in the regular ABT season spring 2013? Or any other shows in the U.S. in the next year?

She is listed as a principal with the company this year, rather than as a guest performer. Not all of the principals dance with ABT in their fall season, so it's hard to say whether Osipova will this year, but it seems likely at this point that she will be back for the regular spring season in 2013. Of course, the patrons of the Bolshoi must have had similar thoughts about her for 2012...

#93 naomikage

naomikage

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

Natalia Osipova has been injured and now pulled out of all her performances at the Royal Ballet Autumn season (September to November).

How sad. Wish her quick recovery.

http://www.roh.org.u...deux-and-carmen

#94 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

she has been working too hard.

:innocent:

#95 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

She may not have been well enough to dance with the Royal Ballet in Carmen, Romeo and Juliet and Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux in November, but evidently she is well enough to dance in Manon in Milan on November 18 & 20. La Scala has now posted complete casting.

http://www.teatroall...e-de-manon.html

#96 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Osipova hasn't recovered yet after all. Sarah Lamb will dance in her stead at La Scala.

http://www.teatroall...e-de-manon.html

#97 mussel

mussel

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

Not according to a Milan newspaper: http://milano.repubb...cito-127303732/

Last paragraph of the article via Google Translate:

"But the fish to fry for the number one scaligero not end there. Natalia Osipova, star of the Royal Ballet in London, engaged in the performances of Manon 18 and 20, does not want to dance with the Scala Claudio Coviello. He proposed to replace it with Sergei Polunin (which by the way is her boyfriend), but for the theater it would pay another étoile guest. Nothing is decided yet if she will jump or Coviello. In short, bad luck hit hard Manon, and deportation to the United States, as in the story of the Abbot Prévost shot by Massenet and Puccini, it would be almost a relief."

David Hallberg was originally scheduled to dance Manon with her.

Very strange wording from La Scala why she pulled out of Manon:

"With great regret we inform you that, for reasons not attributable to the artist, Natalia Osipova will not take part in the performances of 18 and 20 November. In the role of Manon will be Sarah Lamb, Principal of the Royal Ballet, for the first time at La Scala."

#98 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

I guess that makes the "unofficial" version official. (I say good for La Scala for refusing to be held hostage.)

#99 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

I don't think we know anything based on the (admittedly weirdly worded) La Scala press release, especially since it was always odd that Osipova was announced to dance for these performances given that she is out of all 2015 Royal Ballet performances. Who is to say La Scala wasn't trying to combat rumors about "the artist?"  I have no opinion one way or another, but It's all "unofficial."

#100 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

Evidently someone within the theater saw fit to feed information to La repubblica. If at the time of publication on Saturday "nothing [was] yet decided," by the end of the day La Scala had decided in favor of Coviello+Lamb. However, the paper's suggestion that the opera house didn't want to pay for another guest artist is strange given that Osipova's originally scheduled partner would also have been a guest artist commanding a high fee. The wording of La Scala's official position is peculiar, because typically the company cites dancer injury in the event of a cast change, whereas this explanation only begs more questions. On the other hand, to announce cast changes at the last minute is entirely typical for La Scala, even when it's obvious well in advance that a given performer is unable to appear and needs a substitution.

#101 Dreamer

Dreamer

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

Just a few days ago at the news coneference for Sadler Well's upcoming season Polunin criptically complained about unwillingness of "big theaters" to let him and Osipova dance together.  Well, it is quite obvious now which "big theater" he had in mind. 

#102 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

Yes, originally her partner should have been Hallberg, so I can understand her reluctance at dancing with an unfamiliar partner. She is recovering from an injury at the moment, did she not want to risk further problems in a ballet notorious for its intricate pas de deuxs that have caused injuries in the past?

#103 Dreamer

Dreamer

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:35 AM

Yes, originally her partner should have been Hallberg, so I can understand her reluctance at dancing with an unfamiliar partner. She is recovering from an injury at the moment, did she not want to risk further problems in a ballet notorious for its intricate pas de deuxs that have caused injuries in the past?

Coviello is not an unfamiliar partner to Osipova. Besides Manon she dances R&J and Swan Lake with him. 

#104 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

[Admin beanie on]

There is an official source that states that choice of partner influenced Osipova's decision in this case. Polunin's press conference  remarks were reported in the press and cited earlier.

An official source is needed for any discussion of roster changes, past and present.  

[Admin beanie on.]

#105 Dreamer

Dreamer

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

Last September Osipova cancelled her performance of Swan Lake at the Mikhailovsky in which she was originally partnered with Hallberg. "Natalia Osipova decided not to perform in this ballet with a different partner"  – was the official explanation by the management.

http://www.mikhailov...n_september_11/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):