This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Natalia Osipova

drb

Aurora, if she dances Flames of Paris you are definately going to see her jump!

Mashinka, you are totally correct of course. I have a cold and my brain is slow. There is a ton of jumping in the pdd, I was just thinking of the female variation from it, which doesn't have much and is a bit "cutesy" in my view.

Thanks for reminding me!

^^ I love these automatic translations!

They are so picturesque and intriguing at the same time!

(did I understand correctly that the reviewer basically felt the dancing was pretty stellar but the acting left a bit to be desired?)

In the video clip (above) the swans going by behind the two dancers were quite unusual, too.

At first I mistook them for flamingos, and thought that was an interesting change.

-d-

Osipova fans, I need your help!

Does anybody know if she will be dancing in the super short ABT span at City Centre this fall, or in the regular ABT season spring 2013? Or any other shows in the U.S. in the next year?

I ask b/c I live in Seattle and bought Mikhailovsky @ Koch tickets to see her, which of course were refunded. Then I tried to catch her in La Bayadere on Memorial Day and Bright Stream two days later but sadly she was ill.

I am now considering flying over to see her in Firebird on June 23. Misty Copeland is dancing the matinee so I figured I could see her too. But airfares are horrendously expensive, so if there a good chance I can catch her next year I might wait. I noticed in the program it now says "Principal as of 2012", and she used to be listed "Guest Artist". But with all the changes at Mikhailovsky I'm afraid we can't count on anything.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Also I have not seen her since 2010 so if anybody has any observations on how she is evolving, I'd love to read!!!

Does anybody know if she will be dancing in the super short ABT span at City Centre this fall, or in the regular ABT season spring 2013? Or any other shows in the U.S. in the next year?

I ask b/c I live in Seattle and bought Mikhailovsky @ Koch tickets to see her, which of course were refunded. Then I tried to catch her in La Bayadere on Memorial Day and Bright Stream two days later but sadly she was ill.

I am now considering flying over to see her in Firebird on June 23. Misty Copeland is dancing the matinee so I figured I could see her too. But airfares are horrendously expensive, so if there a good chance I can catch her next year I might wait. I noticed in the program it now says "Principal as of 2012", and she used to be listed "Guest Artist". But with all the changes at Mikhailovsky I'm afraid we can't count on anything.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Also I have not seen her since 2010 so if anybody has any observations on how she is evolving, I'd love to read!!!

If you didn't read the Bayadere reviews from ABT, you should. Most people felt she was great as Gamzatti. I have to say that I wasn't prepared for how she just ate up the scenery in a good way. When she was on stage you could not take your eyes off her. Her acting was as impressive as her dancing. I wrote in that topic thread that she countered her evil (which could have devolved into caricature) with longing love for Solor, so the whole thing worked at least for me.

She is listed as a principal with the company this year, rather than as a guest performer. Not all of the principals dance with ABT in their fall season, so it's hard to say whether Osipova will this year, but it seems likely at this point that she will be back for the regular spring season in 2013. Of course, the patrons of the Bolshoi must have had similar thoughts about her for 2012...

Not according to a Milan newspaper: http://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/2015/11/14/news/polemiche_e_proteste_dopo_la_cancellazione_di_manon_ma_la_cgil_esulta_sciopero_riuscito-127303732/

Last paragraph of the article via Google Translate:

"But the fish to fry for the number one scaligero not end there. Natalia Osipova, star of the Royal Ballet in London, engaged in the performances of Manon 18 and 20, does not want to dance with the Scala Claudio Coviello. He proposed to replace it with Sergei Polunin (which by the way is her boyfriend), but for the theater it would pay another étoile guest. Nothing is decided yet if she will jump or Coviello. In short, bad luck hit hard Manon, and deportation to the United States, as in the story of the Abbot Prévost shot by Massenet and Puccini, it would be almost a relief."

David Hallberg was originally scheduled to dance Manon with her.

Very strange wording from La Scala why she pulled out of Manon:

"With great regret we inform you that, for reasons not attributable to the artist, Natalia Osipova will not take part in the performances of 18 and 20 November. In the role of Manon will be Sarah Lamb, Principal of the Royal Ballet, for the first time at La Scala."

I don't think we know anything based on the (admittedly weirdly worded) La Scala press release, especially since it was always odd that Osipova was announced to dance for these performances given that she is out of all 2015 Royal Ballet performances. Who is to say La Scala wasn't trying to combat rumors about "the artist?" I have no opinion one way or another, but It's all "unofficial."

Evidently someone within the theater saw fit to feed information to La repubblica. If at the time of publication on Saturday "nothing [was] yet decided," by the end of the day La Scala had decided in favor of Coviello+Lamb. However, the paper's suggestion that the opera house didn't want to pay for another guest artist is strange given that Osipova's originally scheduled partner would also have been a guest artist commanding a high fee. The wording of La Scala's official position is peculiar, because typically the company cites dancer injury in the event of a cast change, whereas this explanation only begs more questions. On the other hand, to announce cast changes at the last minute is entirely typical for La Scala, even when it's obvious well in advance that a given performer is unable to appear and needs a substitution.