This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Presentation of the ClassicsShould They Change, and If So, How?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:55 AM

Thank you, Coda. :) I don't know where my brain was when I posted that.

MinkusPugni, in the very strictest sense of the term, Classical ballet has not occurred since the time of Noverre. We've discussed this issue before on BT and haven't really come up with anything conclusive as to what to call today's dancing. As historical periods are generally named after they've occurred, I think we'll just have to wait until we have the benefit of hindsight on this one.

#17 Sami~Poo

Sami~Poo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think that it is okay to change the steps so long as you keep with the ideas of the ballet, such as with Gisselle, I think that she should be more "human" in act 1 and more etherial in act 2. I do not however think that choreographers should bring in different genres of dance into a classical or romantic ballet, such as (and this has happened in my home town) hip hop in the Nutcracker. I think that this changes the core of the ballet, and makes it something that it was never intended to be.

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:22 PM

I just flashed back on what may seem an :wink: shock I suffered some years ago.

I was cruising the supermarket aisles and spotted among the cookies some packages of cookies I had loved as a child but had not eaten since. I eagerly bought a bag, took them home, and bit in. :yucky:

Oh, NO! :yucky: This is not how I remembered it! Of course, one's physical sense of taste changes over time, but I didn't think that was it. I looked at the ingredients list and decided, well, half of them didn't exist -- at least as food additives -- when I was little! I concluded that over the years, the baker had substituted a little bit here, and the tasters could perceive no difference. Then a little substitution there. No difference. At the rate of one tiny, imperceptible change every year or two, they could easily have made more than a dozen changes between the Cookies I Remembered :wub: and these . . . whatevers :( . Cumulatively, a lot of little changes add up to something completely different.

If they can do it to cookies, they can do it to ballets.

So welcome to BalletTalk, Sami~Poo. I hope you take a minute to introduce yourself on our Welcome Page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):