This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Cynthia GregoryA deeply missed opportunity for me!!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

What a memory that must be! Thanks, toeprints.

#32 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

according to a source or two on line, she was born in july 1946, so that when you saw her she was 32.

#33 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Thanks, toeprints, for the reminiscence. Even though this thread is a relatively old one, I hope that there will be others like you to share your memories or thoughts about this exceptional dancer. I did not see her with Nureyev, but I recall that her performances often became even more vibrant when she was feeling a rapport with a special partner. When this happened, I also recall performances -- like the Odette you saw -- which "broke my heart."

#34 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

according to a source or two on line, she was born in july 1946, so that when you saw her she was 32.

I believe that this was after her first retirement. If I remember correctly, she had had it with ballet for a variety of reasons and retired. She then came back.

I was a great fan of hers - Her Swan Lake is still the gold standard for me. She brought great intelligence, musicality and technique to every role she danced. I also particularly remember her in Theme & Variations and Lilac Garden.

I did see her Grand Pas Classic with cigarette!!

ABT had female stars with real followings at that time - Gregory, Kirkland, Van Hamel, Makarova, Fracci. It was fun!!

#35 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

Thank you for the responses. It is good to know that people continue to read the older threads. There is so much information available in this forum about my favorite dancers.

#36 dnznqueen

dnznqueen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

wow, what a great thread to revive!!! i unfortunately never got to see cynthia gregory live on stage- my ballet studio brought in a ballet historian once a month for "video time," and she showed us the bujones black swan pas and i was hooked!!! she was so statuesque and powerful, but not in a scary "manly" way at all. when i got older, i had the opportunity to take class from "the great cg" (as the historian used to say), and she was the most humble, gracious person. she taught us aurora's act 3 variation and i just loved her little "bits" of info, like telling us the developpes a la seconde at the end were supposed to be "celebratory explosions of technique." i'll never forget that one...

#37 FirebirdFan

FirebirdFan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

She danced Firebird with Meehan (it's on tape somewhere) and I thought she had stunning timing -- the sequence after the Prince catches the Firebird and she's trying to escape, where everything is distilled into her wrists and hands (before the music swells and they start the adagio) was just right.

Hi sandik,
YES! Gregory's Firebird remains one of my most favorite performances! My parents taped it when it aired on PBS, and her grace, strength, and the grandeur of her birdlike movements absolutely dazzled me. Unfortunately, my parents' recording accidentally got taped over, and this has been considered an everlasting tragedy in my family. I have scoured the internet on several occasions over the years trying to find a copy of it to buy, to give as a surprise gift to my mom, but to no avail. So when you said that it's on tape somewhere, I HAD to ask: WHERE?!?!?!?! How can I get a copy?!?!?! We would all be so thrilled to see this performance again, and it would really mean so much to my mom to have a copy again!!! And there are several other people I would love to share it with, to help spread the love of ballet! I had just about given up hope of ever being able to find it, but you've renewed the flame!

#38 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I think Miss Gregory deserves for this thread to be bumped up from time to time.  I have been watching videos of her non stop for a while now both online and pirate bootlegs, and wow...I think that, would I had been young enough and in NYC during her prime, I would had been her rabid, screaming fan.  She is DEFINITELY my type of ballerina, and everything that I look for in a female dancer.  She totally reminds me of the strong, perfectly centered, wonderfully balanced, powerfully limbed, great a terre females I saw while growing up that eventually became my ideal of a ballerina.  Brava Cynthia!!

#39 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Sorry, dblpost, so deleted since mostly same memories.

#40 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Franklin Stevens' "Dance as Life" has some very articulate discussion of Gregory's place at ABT and her difficulties finding an "appropriate" partner. 

#41 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I've been a fan of Cynthia Gregory's for years and have had the pleasure of knowing her and being in classes with her.  One thing that always struck me was her calm technique onstage.  In many classical variations a step is done and then repeated 2 or 3 times.  If a step went badly for Cynthia, she calmly did the technical fix so the second rendition was better and the third rendition was the best.  This is a rare thing.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):