This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rolando Sarabia defects

According to the Spanish-language web-site,

La Nueva Cuba (.com) -- LINK

(Scroll down to "Cada Vez Mas Artistas Prefieren Dejar Cuba")

Rolando Sarabia will be dancing something from Cascanueces (Nutcracker) at the Miami Beach performances. There's NO mention of whether he will also be at the West Palm evening -- alas! :P

He's been recovering for 7 months from a knee injury.

The news that both Rolando and Daniel Sarabia will be joining Miami City Ballet this season led me back to this thread. A few months after the last post, the following appeared on the International Ballet Competition website (April 2006) --

http://www.usaibc.com/releases/sarabia.htm.

But that's about 15 months old. Has anyone been following Rolando's (and Daniel's) careers since then -- or seen them dance here in the U.S. ?

I will admit that I've been wondering what is bringing them to Miami, beyond the company's phenomenal repertoire, the proximity to Cuba, and the MCB's current shortage of powerhouse male dancers. It's exciting news -- and great for us. But it would be interesting to know the road that led to Miami.

The news that both Rolando and Daniel Sarabia will be joining Miami City Ballet this season led me back to this thread. A few months after the last post, the following appeared on the International Ballet Competition website (April 2006) --

http://www.usaibc.com/releases/sarabia.htm.

But that's about 15 months old. Has anyone been following Rolando's (and Daniel's) careers since then -- or seen them dance here in the U.S. ?

I will admit that I've been wondering what is bringing them to Miami, beyond the company's phenomenal repertoire, the proximity to Cuba, and the MCB's current shortage of powerhouse male dancers. It's exciting news -- and great for us. But it would be interesting to know the road that led to Miami.

Hi Bart!

Like i said earlier on this thread, i'm just thrilled to be having Sarabita at MCB :) I've been following his career even before he became a principal at Ballet Nacional de Cuba, and by the time i left the island in 2001, he had became a super powered dancing machine. He was UNBELIEVABLE :jawdrop: , almost UNREAL, his pirouettes were ...something i've NEVER seen before ..sooooo fast and with the most elegant and exquisite technique. When i left, besides leaving everything else behind, i also realized with sadness that i was never gonna be able to see him dancing again...AND NOW HE'S GONNA BE HERE IN MIAMI!, :yahoo:

I went to see him last year at the launching of the Classical Cuban Ballet Company at the Gusman Center. I had heard that he had been dealing with knee problems, and was recovering from surgery. He danced the Swan Lake II Act PDD, and despite being a little bit heavier than when i had seen him from last time, it was very moving to me...He danced beautiful. I also saw his brother Daniel (who also will join the MCB), and he's also an excelent performer. My respects for both of them :bow: and WELCOME AGAIN!

:tiphat:

As you may or may not know, Daniel Sarabia has been with Boston Ballet for at least a year if not more. He had an injury that kept him out for a while, but I did see him perform twice this past season. I thought Rolando was joining Houston Ballet at one time too? It definately makes sense for them both to be at MCB, what a joy to watch that will be.

Where's a good eye-rolling smiley when you need one?
Lost in the latest upgrade. :dunno:

I think the ability to dance in the same company again probably outweighs any and (almost) all other considerations, although MCB is probably a very desirable place from a dancer's point of view. Good for los hermanos Sarabia, and good for Miami!

Where's a good eye-rolling smiley when you need one?
Lost in the latest upgrade. :dunno:

I think the ability to dance in the same company again probably outweighs any and (almost) all other considerations, although MCB is probably a very desirable place from a dancer's point of view. Good for los hermanos Sarabia, and good for Miami!

I was actually trying to convey sarcasm in the previous post, and am very happy for his new position at Miami. I'm sure there are a combination of reasons for his decision to move, but the one I was thinking of is that the new HB repertory simply doesn't offer a dancer of his calibre much, especially someone who comes from such a classical tradition. Of course, that is only my opinion and may not be his.

I'm sure there are a combination of reasons for his decision to move, but the one I was thinking of is that the new HB repertory simply doesn't offer a dancer of his calibre much, especially someone who comes from such a classical tradition.

The new season has only "Aurora's Wedding" (Sleeping Beauty, Act III) in the Russian classical tradition, though the company has other 19th century classics -- Giselle, Coppelia (Balanchine's), and Don Quixote (Petipa's) -- in its recent rep.

In 2007-08 the Sarabias will possibly be cast in several of the following: Balanchine (full-length Jewels, Tarantella, Square Dance, La Valse, Bourree Fantasque), one Wheeldon, a couple of Tharps, and the Fox Trot scene from Villella's Neighborhood Ballroom.

One thing occurs to me: Miami is a very serious Balanchine company and has been a good place for Latin American trained dancers to gain experience in the Balanchine tradition (Ileana Lopez, Franklin Gomero, Renato Penteado, Carlos Guerra, and others). Maybe that's another attraction to the Sarabias.

The new season has only "Aurora's Wedding" (Sleeping Beauty, Act III) in the Russian classical tradition, though the company has other 19th century classics -- Giselle, Coppelia (Balanchine's), and Don Quixote (Petipa's) -- in its recent rep.

In 2007-08 the Sarabias will possibly be cast in several of the following: Balanchine (full-length Jewels, Tarantella, Square Dance, La Valse, Bourree Fantasque), one Wheeldon, a couple of Tharps, and the Fox Trot scene from Villella's Neighborhood Ballroom.

I'll take those over 5 Welch works and Petit Mort anyday.

There is a rather large Cuban community in Miami.

yes, there is! :mad: ...which will welcome them with open arms, yeah!!! :clapping: Oh, also, let's not forget that Sarabita is a founding member of our own little piece of Ballet Nacional de Cuba in Miami, the Classical Cuban Ballet of Miami, which last year had a wonderful season, "Giselle" included. They're preparing the 2008 season, opening with Swan Lake, and i really hope to see both of the Sarabia brothers on it, so, IN MY OWN OPINION, maybe that's another reason for them to be here in Miami.

:tiphat: