This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Artist corrects library mosaic spelling boo-boos

I missed this completely the first time around, and it happened right in my area, too. In Livermore, California, the artist Maria Alquilar, who misspelled names such as Van Gogh, Shakespeare, and Einstein on a mosaic outside the public library, returns to the scene of the crime to do a few corrections.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../10/LIBRARY.TMP

The Miami muralist who misspelled Shakespeare, Michelangelo and nine other famous names on a mosaic outside the library slipped into town to correct her errors -- at a cost of $6,000 to the city.

And this time, city officials promise they have checked her work before it gets set in stone.

I kant buleeve it.

Sounds like that basball playur who sed he didnt no there wur steeroyds in his injekshuns. Or the Palm Beech County commishiner who didnt no she was taking cheks from lobbiests and peeple doing bizness with the County.

Whats "artistic lisence"?

I love the conclusion:

"When the story first broke, I thought, 'Oh, Livermore, the town that misspells stuff,' " Vash said. "The only thing we've got in Livermore is a library that misspells words."

But he added, "Everybody makes mistakes."

Quipped his girlfriend's 13-year-old brother, Eric Smyth:

"Not this bad."

What I don't understand is, if the original commission earned this Eistein $4,000, why did the city pay her an additional $6,000 to fix her own mistakes?

:D

It seems they were having trouble inducing her to return. Also, the library felt it had some responsibility as apparently no one thought to check out the spelling before it was too late. Of course, many people just aren't good spellers, but very sloppy work on the part of the artist--how long does it take to check the spelling in a dictionary......

I love the conclusion:
"When the story first broke, I thought, 'Oh, Livermore, the town that misspells stuff,' " Vash said. "The only thing we've got in Livermore is a library that misspells words."

But he added, "Everybody makes mistakes."

Quipped his girlfriend's 13-year-old brother, Eric Smyth:

"Not this bad."

What I don't understand is, if the original commission earned this Eistein $4,000, why did the city pay her an additional $6,000 to fix her own mistakes?

:cool:

The article says that she originally earned $40,000. I am still not sure why they would have to pay her to correct it at all, but at least now it doesn't seem that the correction is making more than the original work.