This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Blog Question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

When I click on "Blog" at the top right of the page, Alexandra's blog comes up, and there is a little gray heart next to the title that turns red when I click it. What is it?

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:41 AM

It means I love you, Hans :wub: If I hated you, it would turn black :angry2:

Only kidding -- I've wondered that myself.

#3 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:00 AM

:angry2:

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:06 AM

I should note that my blog is off-site, not one of our new, fancy hosted blogs (it already existed and since I'd paid for and set up a site, it seemed silly to move it). I do hope people will use this. You can set one up in about two minutes (I did a test). I've asked atm to put up her wonderful 'Ruminations" blog again, and Helene's idea about using the blog for reviews of ballets seen on trips or special events (Natalia effectively blogged the Bournonville festival on a thread) or like the long-departed (and missed) Jerry from Seattle, who used the board as a diary for his first year of ballet viewing. Or to collect favorite dancers, or give us video reviews -- there are lots of ways to use it, and I hope to be reading some soon.

#5 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

It means I love you, Hans    :wub:  If I hated you, it would turn black :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm gutted - the heart doesn't change colours at all for me. :(

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:52 AM

Actually, it means that Hans loves Alexandra :angry2:

When you click on the heart, and it turns red, it means you've added it to your favorites. Windows (XP): on Firefox, there's a little "tool tip" that appears if you hover your cursor over the heart ("Add blog to favorites" if it's not selected (not red); "Remove blog from favorites" if it is selected (red)"). On IE 6.0, the heart turns red, but the tool tips don't display. I'll check the Mac (OS X with Firefox and Safari) later this evening.

There is a few second delay before the change takes place.

What adding something to your favorites does on the blog is nothing I can find in the documentation or on the help forums. There have been suggestions for a "Favorite blogs" link in a future version, but if we're lucky, we'll find that the heart changes color or pattern if there's a new entry, like on the board where a little orange folder appears to the left of unread posts.

#7 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:10 AM

That's interesting--here on my work computer, there's nothing new in my "Favorites." I'll try it at home tonight with the Opera browser. It would definitely be nice if in a later version of the software there could be a list of one's favorite blogs in the My Controls section, similar to the way topics to which one has subscribed appear.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,467 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

That's interesting--here on my work computer, there's nothing new in my "Favorites."  I'll try it at home tonight with the Opera browser.  It would definitely be nice if in a later version of the software there could be a list of one's favorite blogs in the My Controls section, similar to the way topics to which one has subscribed appear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The blog software doesn't interact with the board software to update favorites -- the hearts only indicate favorites on the blog main page. You won't see blog favorites in My Controls in this version. (I haven't seen it listed as a feature in the next version.) Comments or entries on blogs don't add to the post total on the board, either.

#9 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

Oh, I get it now. So all you have to do is click on "Blog" and you automatically see which ones are your favorites, thus rendering a list in My Controls unnecessary. Thanks for the explanation!

#10 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

I have a question for Helene---under the 'add photos to your blog entry' it states that the photo should come from a phto file on the computer (I know, I know, my ignorance about computers is being revealed)--my question is---can I use my scanner to put on a photo? and Thanks Helene for all that work you put into the directions---I am reading through my 13 printed pages. It appears to be a lot like 'Type Pad".

#11 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

atm, this may vary from one computer to another, but it's been my experience that when you scan a photo, the computer automatically stores it in a file. I believe you can then upload that file to your blog, although there may be some rules about uploading.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

Yes, iif you scan a photo to your computer, that's a file. You can upload that file -- there will be size constraints. Make sure it's at 72 dpi (not 150 or 300; that's usually found in "image size" or something of that nature in your scanning/photo software. And make sure it's not 50 inches by 60 inches.

It is like Typepad, atm -- and many apologies for putting you through this three times!!!!! But those pieces are worth it. They need to be in one place so people can find them easily. they're beautiful, and very valuable :flowers:

#13 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

Alexanndra--you make me blush :)

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

I'm glad! A little color in the cheeks does a body good :) And I meant it. Those pieces ARE beautiful. So get 'em up already. I'm lonely in Blogsville. :)

#15 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:45 AM

This very weekend I shall get to it---it's too hot to go outdoors. I have been slowed down trying to write of Hugh Laing---I have been poking around trying to find some concrete opinions of what others thought of him on the stage---but there is not too much written of him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):