This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yelena Pankova?

Solor

Pankova has not been dancing with the Kirov for about 10 years.

I do not have a lot of information, but I did ask about her on BT a while ago. Here's the link.

Pankova's husband is still listed on the Bavarian State Ballet's website. (here).

On this discussion board, it is mentioned that Pankova danced Giselle in 2001 (here).

You could also try searching online, maybe Google will turn something up.

She seems to perform with some Italian companies: the most recent thing I found about her was a comment on a performance of "Swan Lake" in March 2004 in Verona with Jose Manuel Carreno.

[Edited to add:]

There is the following page about her on the Munich Ballet site. It seems to say (I don't speak German) that from the 2000-2001 season, she became a guest dancer for the company.

http://www.staatsorchester.de/c.php/suche_...dom=dom1&id=504

I've only seen Pankova twice, but both times she won my heart.

She danced Aurora here in the late 80s; I preferred her characterization to Ayupova's -- she was SO young, so fresh, so alive to the whole world around her, her eagerness appealed to me enormously.

And in a Kirov video whose name I don't recall, she dances the ballerina role in La Vivandiere with such elan I don't know who could resist her. I've heard that some think the style of the Kirov's production is exaggerated, there are great tilts of the upper body going on all the time, it's almost hooty, though since it's so well under control I'm also highly impressed -- but her dancing takes everything to another level, it is so effervescent, her attack has such allegria....

Pankova performs the Vivandière pas de six on two videos--the Kirov in London and Kirov Classics. I think she's good, but Sizova (I forget the name of the tape she's on) is worlds better. Of course...Sizova is better than just about everyone! So that's not intended as a criticism of Pankova.

OK, here goes a list of where Pankova is on video:

-Kirov's Corsaire.

-She rehearses (with Kolpakova and Makarova) and then dances a variation from Paquita in 'Leningrad Legend.'

-Pas de trois in Paquita on 'Kirov Classics.'

-She's also the 'orange' fairy (Violente?) in the Sleeping Beauty with Lezhnina.

-One of two flower girls in the Kirov's Don Quixote.

-She's in the pas de trois in Swan Lake with Mezentseva.

[Edited to fix error]

Edited by mohnurka

Well....I wonder why she left the Kirov? And where she went after? And where she is now. Searching around online is of no help.

No Mohnurka......thats Veronika Ivanova in the pas de trois from Swan Lake with Lezhnina. .....speaking of which, I have a few questions about her......

Yes, Solor, you're right. Sorry, I was thinking of Swan Lake with Mezentseva. Pankova dances the pas de trois with Ayupova there.

Re: why she left the Kirov: why did Lezhnina leave, Shapchits, Terekhova for a while, others that we might not know of? I'm sure it wasn't completely her decision, as the Kirov is certainly among the world's top theaters. Dancers wouldn't want to leave without a reason. Perhaps she didn't have enough opportunities to dance major roles, perhaps there were other reasons... Read the interview with Lezhnina by Haegeman, it's gives a bit of insight (not saying that was the case with Pankova, I don't know).