This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A curtain-raiser for Giselle?

Farrell Fan

I think something contrasting would be better.

I once attended a program at NYCB of all-Balanchine, all-leotard ballets. They were great ballets (I think both Barocco and 4Ts were on the bill), but by the end, I was longing for pink tutus. Variety is important. That's why Petipa mixed character with classical, with processions and mime mixed in, to vary the mood and texture of his evening-length works.

Just because they are the same choreographer, doesn't mean they are exactly the same. I believe the Pas de Quatre is completely different from Giselle. Plus the two acts of Giselle are also completely different so there is quite a lot of variety. I think that a mixed programme that includes a full-length ballet should always be of the same choreographer. For example, the Australian Ballet just performed La Sylphide and selections from Bournonville ballets were curtain-raisers (Le Conservatoire Pas de Trois, Flower Festival Pas de Deux). This was good because you could see other aspects of the choreographer's work.