This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov in LA Sleeping Beauty tix on sale

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:44 AM

Nioradze I've seen and I can't say I'm curious to see her again. But Somova, Novikova, and Osmolkina I am curious about. Anyone seen them? Have any recommendations?

#32 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

At the time of writing, Vishneva is scheduled to dance the opening night's "Beauty" in Detroit.

Pavlenko doesn't dance Aurora, unfortunately, only Lilac and Florine, and her appearance in Detroit is very, very uncertain.

Novikova is excellent, if still rather young.

All information is liable to change, of course :)

#33 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:10 AM

Somova, Novikova, and Osmolkina I am curious about. Anyone seen them? Have any recommendations?

Of these three I'd say Osmolkina might make the best Aurora, Novikova can be a bit inconsistent, and although she is a very pretty girl, Somova's hyper-extensions (way beyond 180 degrees) would make her the least attractive choice in my view. I hate to think what she could do to the Rose Adagio.

#34 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

In todayís links section there is a story in the NY Daily News that confirms Vishneva, Zelensky & Lopatkina as the opening night cast in LA along with Pavlenko & Korsakov in the Bluebird pas de deux.
I know things can change at the last minute, but at this point Iím really glad I decided to make the trip!

#35 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

Regarding Detroit, the following inquiry and response appears on Diana Vishneva's site today:

Hi Diana, I`m disappointed that you will not dance in Detroit, because I was looking forward to seeing you. Do you have any idea who your replacement will be?
Diana: I do not know.

Her site's posted schedule for the month of October remains unchanged:

Oct 28 2005 Berlin: STAATSOPER The Sleeping Beauty
Oct 26 2005 Berlin: STAATSOPER The Sleeping Beauty
Oct 15 2005 San Francisco: Berkeley, Zellerbach The Sleeping Beauty
Oct 12 2005 San Francisco: Berkeley,Zellerbach Hall The Sleeping Beauty
Oct 8 2005 Los Angeles: Music Center The Sleeping Beauty
Oct 5 2005 Los Angeles: Music Center The Sleeping Beauty

One can certainly understand that the new production in Berlin will require significant rehearsal time.

#36 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

Daria Pavlenko is out of this tour, according to her website where the dates for the US tour have been removed. (Daria Pavlenko website)

#37 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

After reading all of your comments, I called for tickets today for the Wednesday evening performance of SB with Vishneva/Zelensky. I do hope the casting does not change......! I am counting on them performing for opening night. :) It's a long drive into L.A..........

#38 millamant

millamant

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Don't know if this is appropriate place to post, but anyone interested in getting tickets to Kirov in LA, might consider joining www.goldstarevents.com. There is no charge for joining. They're now offering half-price tickets to the Wed/Thurs (10/5-6) performances. It's very likely that they will open up other dates as well. I've gotten tickets thru the site in the past (SF Opera, Music Center performances) and have never had a problem (so far they only serve LA and SF area). They identify the section, but you won't know the actual seat until you pick them up at boxoffice.

I got my tickets for the opening night in Berkeley a while back, but if goldstar offers something for one of the later Berkeley perfs, I might pick up another ticket.

#39 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

Today's (10/5) LA Times article interviewing Osmolkina, Somova and Novikova lists the following casting for Aurora:

Wednesday 10/5 - Vishneva
Thursday 10/6 - Osmolkina
Friday 10/7 - Somova
Saturday 10/8 - Vishneva
Sunday 10/9 - Novikova

There's also a pretty picture of the three sitting on the steps of California Plaza in downtown.

#40 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

There's also a pretty picture of the three sitting on the steps of California Plaza in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article and photo are here:
http://www.calendarl...e-more-channels
One can enlarge the photo by clicking on it. Princesses!

#41 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Novikova in Detroit. She's so pretty, and she sounds like a real young talent.

#42 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:51 PM

The Orange County Register also lists today that Pavlenko will dance Lilac Fairy opposite Somova at the Friday 10/7 performance. The LA Times article also mentioned that Friday is Somova's debut as Aurora.
http://ocregister.co...icle_701129.php

#43 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:24 AM

.... Friday is Somova's debut as Aurora.
http://ocregister.co...icle_701129.php

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good grief. We Americans are the guinea pigs! Maybe that's because all St. Petersburg balletomanes who I know cannot stomach Somova. Vaziyev knows better than to allow this to be seen 'at home.'

Has Alina Somova EVER received a kind review from ANY 'legit' critic, anywhere? Even Clement Crisp -- who rarely sees a Kirov or Bolshoi ballerina he doesn't love -- bashed Somova's Mariinsky Festival & London performances. But Somova's coaches are like energizer bunnies...they keep going & going & going until, doggone it, Alina Somova will be accepted & garner one or two decent reviews. As we say in Russia: "UDACHI!" ("Good Luck!")

p.s. - That's not to say that Somova couldn't be wonderful in modern works that welcome hyper-extensions and quirky-rough manners. Our frustrations are with the theater's management insistance on casting her in the leading ballerina roles of the classical repertoire.

Edited by Natalia, 06 October 2005 - 07:19 AM.

#44 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

Anyone have any opinions of Novikova, the ballerina I'm scheduled to see?

#45 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

Anyone have any opinions of Novikova, the ballerina I'm scheduled to see?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's fabulous, canbelto. In DC, we saw her Gulnare in Corsaire. She is superb as the 2nd soloist in Ballet Imperial (which I've seen in both StP and London). She is probably the best Kirov Kitri beside Vishneva; in fact, her repertoire mirrors that of Vishneva. Some St. Petersburgers call her "Vishneva Junior." [A couple of years ago, Irina Golub was being groomed in the Vishneva roles but it appears that Novikova is the latest Vishneva-type being pushed along. Just my humble observation.]

Osmolkina, among the three 'newcomers,' has the 'classic' Petersburg-aristocratic looks. She is the naturally-gorgeous lady who has worked VERY hard on her technique during the last couple of years to make herself worthy of the Soloist title. Her initial Kitri three years ago was a bomb but, now, she can dance toe-to-toe with the best of them.

Honestly, I find it absurd that Somova is being included in the group. If there was ever a worthy 'Aurora-ready' lady among the younger Kirov dancers, it is Evgenia Obraztsova, the fabulous Juliet of the London season. That Somova, rather than Obraztsova, is being given the chance to debut as Aurora at this time, is a highly-questionable management decision. Sorry - just the opinions of a long-time Kirov follower. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):