This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov in LA

Not sure if this is the right place, but I noticed that the Kirov ballet will be performing SLEEPING BEAUTY at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA. Single tickets went on sale today and I got almost the same tix as I had to see ABT's GISELLE (excellent!).

I haven't been able to see any cast info, but I had heard that Vishneva was supposed to perform one of the nights.

btw, last time, my friend bailed on me at the last minute on ABT's Tchaikovsky's mixed program and i had to eat the ticket. Is there a forum area here where i could have offered up the ticket? With the flakitude of my friends, i'm afeared that it could happen again...

-goro-

Not sure if this is the right place, but I noticed that the Kirov ballet will be performing SLEEPING BEAUTY at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA.  Single tickets went on sale today and I got almost the same tix as I had to see ABT's GISELLE (excellent!).

I haven't been able to see any cast info, but I had heard that Vishneva was supposed to perform one of the nights.

-goro-

EvilNinjaX

Here's a link to preliminary casting for the three US cities the Kirov will bring SB to.

http://www.ardani.com/kirovballettour.htm

Richard

Edited by richard53dog
Not sure if this is the right place, but I noticed that the Kirov ballet will be performing SLEEPING BEAUTY at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA.  Single tickets went on sale today and I got almost the same tix as I had to see ABT's GISELLE (excellent!)

-goro-

What are good tickets at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion? Does the orchestra incline steeply? I'm thinking of orchestrating a west coast vacation to see the Kirov and was just checking on tickets. I often have a hard time seeing over people's heads from the orchestra, and usually get the front row of the side boxes at the Met in NY.On ticketmaster it It looks like the best I can do is row B of the orchestra (around seats 35-36) or founders circle F57 & 58. Any advice? I could also go see them in Berkeley or Detroit instead of LA, but the Southern California sunshine would be welcome in October....

Does anyone know if the loge is above or behind the founders circle? It looks like I can still get the first row of the loge, which may be the best bet for me...any help would be appreciated!

These questions are fine for this Kirov thread.

And, since you ask, I prefer Igor Zelensky to Kolb. He's a more assertive dancer, and I like his attack and musicality. But Sleeping Beauty is really the ballerina's ballet.

I haven't seen Sologub in a leading role -- just as a soloist -- but I seem to remember liking her. And even though I was lukewarm about Vishneva's Giselle last month, I think Aurora would suit her very well.

What are good tickets at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion?  Does the orchestra incline steeply? ...

Does anyone know if the loge is above or behind the founders circle? It looks like I can still get the first row of the loge, which may be the best bet for me...any help would be appreciated!

The Dorothy Chandler is an excellent theatre for dance - even in the back of the orchestra you don't feel very far away, and it's decently sloped so that heads haven't been a major problem for me. It's not stadium seating, but it is nicely sloped. For dance engagements, the Orchestra Ring section (essentially rows W to Z of the orchestra) is usually a good deal, as it is a good $30 or so less than the rest of the orchestra and the view is still very good.

The loge is indeed above the Founders Circle, and then the Balcony is one level above that. The price in the Loge is equal to that of the Orchestra Ring, which doesn't make it a very good deal at all for how high up it is in the theatre. To be that high, you might as well sit in the Front Balcony for $30 less and not have the balcony hanging down over you (the balcony isn't an obstruction in the Loge, but there is something to be said psychologically for not feeling trapped in a box). The Balcony is high, but the theatre manages to make itself feel much more intimate than, say, the Metropolitan Opera House in New York. So it's definetly not a bad place to sit, and the view is still good.

For the Kirov prices are $95 in the front orch, $65 in the Orchestra Ring/Loge, $35 in the Front Balcony and $25 in the Rear Balcony. My favorite seats for the value and view are the Orchestra Ring and the Front Balcony. Mid-orchestra would be ideal if view was the only thing that mattered.

What are good tickets at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion?  Does the orchestra incline steeply? ...

The Dorothy Chandler is an excellent theatre for dance - even in the back of the orchestra you don't feel very far away, and it's decently sloped so that heads haven't been a major problem for me. It's not stadium seating, but it is nicely sloped. For dance engagements, the Orchestra Ring section (essentially rows W to Z of the orchestra) is usually a good deal, as it is a good $30 or so less than the rest of the orchestra and the view is still very good.

The loge is indeed above the Founders Circle, and then the Balcony is one level above that. The price in the Loge is equal to that of the Orchestra Ring, which doesn't make it a very good deal at all for how high up it is in the theatre. To be that high, you might as well sit in the Front Balcony for $30 less and not have the balcony hanging down over you (the balcony isn't an obstruction in the Loge, but there is something to be said psychologically for not feeling trapped in a box). The Balcony is high, but the theatre manages to make itself feel much more intimate than, say, the Metropolitan Opera House in New York. So it's definetly not a bad place to sit, and the view is still good.

For the Kirov prices are $95 in the front orch, $65 in the Orchestra Ring/Loge, $35 in the Front Balcony and $25 in the Rear Balcony. My favorite seats for the value and view are the Orchestra Ring and the Front Balcony. Mid-orchestra would be ideal if view was the only thing that mattered.

When I went to see ABT in april, i had tix in ORCHX 37,38 and they were wonderful seats. Very easy to see everything. THere was little in view obstruction (and i'm not that tall myslef).

The next nite, I had tix in the FOUNDERS CIRCLE M 32,33 and they were amazing. It's an absolutely perfect view of the stage and when the lights go down, you feel like you're being suspended right before the stage.

Personally, I'd go with the FOUNDERS CIRCLE if i could, centered best. I think the F 57-58 is that FAR LEFT wing and I think I'd rather be back and centered. I believe (not entirely sure) that the seats number from 1-60.

-goro-

I prefer Igor Zelensky to Kolb.  He's a more assertive dancer, and I like his attack and musicality. 

Odd preference.

Having seen Zelensky dance last Saturday I have to report that he eliminated just about all the lifts from La Bayadere. If he does the same in Beauty, the effect will be rather strange to say the least.

I prefer Igor Zelensky to Kolb.  He's a more assertive dancer, and I like his attack and musicality. 

Odd preference.

Having seen Zelensky dance last Saturday I have to report that he eliminated just about all the lifts from La Bayadere. If he does the same in Beauty, the effect will be rather strange to say the least.

He's being cautious because of his back. He danced Bayadere with Uliana, right?

When the music surged, I can't imagine how that looked. Mashinka, what did they do to substitute? We know SB Act 2 & 3 pdds have lots of lifts. I hope he's physically able and confident enough to do them in October. It 's not worth it to aggravate a serious injury like that.

Now, what are the prevailing opinions of Zelensky c/c w/ Kolb.  Also, what are the opinions of Natalia Sologub? 

-=goro=-

I've seen some of the dancers who are cast for this engagement -Sarafanov is a wonderful soloist, but not always the best partner. I have enjoyed both Kolb & Zelensky but I think the female leads are more important than the men in this ballet, and that's what I'd base my decision on. I saw Solugub as Odette/Odile in DC and remember being impressed with her as a dancer, but I found her sensibility & line kind of "modern" for the classics, so I don't know what she'd be like as Aurora. Having just seen Vishneva in NY I would strongly recommend getting tickets to see her, especially since Lopatkina is scheduled to dance the lilac fairy at both of her performances! I've only seen Lopatkina once - at the Kirov Gala in DC she danced the Dying Swan and the lead in La Valse. She is a very, very special ballerina. Even though I know the casting is likely to change I am considering crossing the continent to see her again, so ...

Continuing to evaluate my options for a road trip - I found a really cheap hotel at 200 South Hill Street near W. 2nd St called the Kawada. Reviews on traveladvisor have been mixed to negative, but my only real concern is if I will feel safe there and can walk to the theatre. Anybody know the hotel, or the area? There are 2 restaurants on site, if that helps anyone recall the location - Shockwave Cafe & Epicenter Restaurant. At least they have a sense of humor! It says that it's 3 blocks from the music center and 1 block from the civic center metro station (do people actually ride the metro in LA?). Another option is the Standard at 550 S. Flower. Way more expensive than the Kawada, but still not outrageous. Thanks to all our west coasters for their advice :devil:

Hi NYSusan! As a native Angeleno, I would counsel you not to stay at the hotels you mentioned precisely for the safety issue. The Hill and Flower St. areas of downtown L.A. are rather unsavory - in fact everything east of the Music Center / Disney Concert Hall area is. I wouldn't drive in that area at night, let alone walk. Travelocity may be able to give you some really competitive rates at the Marriott, the Omni, The Milleneum Biltmore, Westin Bonaventure - all of which are approx. the same distance to the Music Center by foot or car, as is the Kawada. The foot traffic from the Music Center would have more people, and you would be less likely to be accosted. In answer to your second question, YES - a lot of people ride the Metro in L.A., the problem is its not city or countywide as New York's subway system. Pity!

Hi NYSusan!  As a native Angeleno, I would counsel you not to stay at the hotels you mentioned precisely for the safety issue.  The Hill and Flower St. areas of downtown L.A. are rather unsavory - in fact everything east of the Music Center / Disney Concert Hall area is.  I wouldn't drive in that area at night, let alone walk.  Travelocity may be able to give you some really competitive rates at the Marriott, the Omni, The Milleneum Biltmore, Westin Bonaventure - all of which are approx. the same distance to the Music Center by foot or car, as is the Kawada.  The foot traffic from the Music Center would have more people, and you would be less likely to be accosted.  In answer to your second question, YES - a lot of people ride the Metro in L.A., the problem is its not city or countywide as New York's subway system.  Pity!

Thanks Cygnet, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I'm not surprised to hear that the Kawada is in a sketchy part of town, I kind of figured that would be the case when I saw the price. Are you sure about the Standard, though? At Flower between 5th & 6th it sounds like it's right in the same area as the Biltmore & Westin Boneventure. Does the neighborhood change that drastically within a block or two?

Apologies - off topic :wub:

Hi NYSusan :angry2:! Sorry for my late reply. The Standard is in the same general area as the Westin, Biltmore & Marriott. The S is on Flower at 6th St. From the S it's a long hike northeast to the Music Center. The Biltmore is .5 miles south of the MC on Grand Ave., but its off of 6th; this is further away. By contrast, the W & M on 3rd St. are closer than the B, but have indirect routes. The walk from the Biltmore to the MC is easiest - just walk north straight up Grand Ave to the Center. The MC is northeast of the S, W & M. Depending where you decide to stay, the general distance b/w the S, W & M, (northeast to the MC), is approx the same. Grand Ave. becomes a steep incline as you head north ala San Francisco. Also, be careful crossing the streets at night: L.A. streets are wide, and unlike N.Y. its not just a hop, skip and jump to the other side. I hope this helps. YES, in L.A. there are huge neighborhood extremes - even within 2 - 3 blocks. Rule of thumb re Downtown: Everything east of Hill St. and Broadway is like that old Mel Gibson film 'Mad Max.'

Apologies - off topic :)

Hi NYSusan :flowers:!  Sorry for my late reply... 

Not at all - thanks for taking the time to help me with this. It can be very tricky trying to get the lay of the land in a city you're not familiar with, and I am very grateful for your help.

The Biltmore seems to be the best location but the best prices I can find there,at the Marriott or the Westin Boneventure are still pretty high & require prepayment. To keep my options open I made a reservation at the Standard for $130 a night with no prepayment or cancellation penalty while I make up my mind. Too bad the Kawada didn't work out at $78 per night but that was just too good to be true & The Standard sounds like a very cool hotel.

I do hope to make this trip, I'm thinking I'll probably get tickets for the first 2 nights. Hopefully you'll be going to at least one of those performances - cause I'd love to buy you a pre-performance drink to express my gratitude for all your help!!!

Susan :)

Has anyone heard any updated casting info? I suspect that there have been some changes but they're not reflected on either the Music Center or Ardani's website. Any of our Kirov watchers have the scoop?

Per Berkeley's website, Diana and Uliana are getting two evening performances in the same cast: Opening night and another night. Re casting for Aurora and Lilac, my educated guess for L.A. (and the entire Fall tour), would be the same rotation as Berkeley.

Thanks Cygnet. I'm asking because I saw revised casting for SF on ballet.co's website. It shows Somova dancing instead of Sologub for the 3rd performance and Pavlenko as the Lilac Fairy in the second. I was reluctant to post that here because even though it looks like a press release, it doesn't explicitly say that it is a press release, and the Zellerback & Ardani websites still have the original casting up. So, I was hoping someone would be able to confirm the changes, and maybe have updated casting for LA. I'm still hoping to make it to LA for the first 2 performances.

According to this press release from Berkeley (dated 31 August 2005), the casting is as follows:

10/12: Vishneva/Zelensky/Lopatkina/Petrov

10/13: Nivikova/Sarafanov/Pavlenko/Skripkin

10/14: Somova/Fadeev/Esina/Petrov

10/15m: Nioradze/Korsakov/Vostrotina/Skripkin

10/15e: Vishneva/Kolb/Lopatkina/Petrov

10/16: Ocmolkina/Sarafanov/Nioradze/TBD

http://cpinfo.berkeley.edu/information/pre...rovBalletPR.pdf

Hopefully they will update the LA casting soon! Olesia Novikova was a fantastic Gulnara in Le Corsaire during the Kirov's Washington engagement this summer; she's currently listed for the Sunday matinee in Los Angeles, so keep an eye out for when she is dancing. The innocence and verve of her Gulnara point the way towards a wonderfully bright Aurora.

Now that I'm back from Washington (and staying back from Washington) I finally bought my LA tickets. It'd be nice to see anyone attending at the Nureyev statue, as Andre said a few posts up!

Hopefully they will update the LA casting soon!  Olesia Novikova was a fantastic Gulnara in Le Corsaire during the Kirov's Washington engagement this summer; she's currently listed for the Sunday matinee in Los Angeles, so keep an eye out for when she is dancing.  The innocence and verve of her Gulnara point the way towards a wonderfully bright Aurora.

Now that I'm back from Washington (and staying back from Washington) I finally bought my LA tickets.  It'd be nice to see anyone attending at the Nureyev statue, as Andre said a few posts up!

Well, I've made my reservations so I'll be there for the first 2 nights regardless of the casting! See you at the statue. With the running time listed at 3 hours and 40 minutes I expect we'll be enjoying some nice, long Russian intermissions.

Susan