Tchaikovsky's Music

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is Tchakovsky's Greatest Score (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is Tchakovsky's Greatest Score

1. 1. Swan Lake (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

2. 2. Sleeping Beauty (17 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

3. 3. The Nutcracker. (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. 4. None! He's No Minkus. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 5. Can't choose! "For dancing, always Tchaikovsky." (11 votes [24.44%])

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

Vote

#16 Dr. Coppelius

Dr. Coppelius

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

How could there be only 1 vote for Nut?  It's full of the most glorious melodies in the history of Western Music

I agree, the Pas de deux: Intrada, makes me cry everytime I hear it, so for me it's an emotional favorite, the vote for Nutcracker is mine :dry: .

#17 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:05 AM

It's hard to pick one over the other's, but I chose The Nutcracker. It's more of an emotional pick than anything. That music reaches the childlike, happy, safe place in my soul that darkness and outside influences can't harm. Not to say that there isn't pathos in the music. it's there alright, but so is hope and innocense. You could probably say the same thing for The Sleeping Beauty, but as I said it's a personal thing.

#18 brivagook

brivagook

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

I chose "all," although I have to agree with Alexandra's comment about Nutcracker. Because every holiday season of my life has been inundated with Nutcracker music, it is very difficult for me to hear it and appreciate it. I've often wondered what it would be like to hear the score for the first time, since by now I know it so well the novelty is lost. The only parts that still move me are the snow scene and the adagio of the grand pas. Wouldn't it be interesting to be hypnotised to forget all the music, so that you could hear it all for the first time? That would be quite an experiment!

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting to be hypnotised to forget all the music, so that you could hear it all for the first time?  That would be quite an experiment!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a great point, brivagook. I wonder how much music would seem better, if we hadn't heard it that extra time that put us over the brink.

#20 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

I would love to be hypnotized to forget certain parts of the Nutcracker...most of it makes me twitch. :dry:

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:07 PM

Ah, Hans, if you had only seen the Trocaderos "Nutcracker." The tree couldn't grow, so they shrunk the ceiling (it was in an about-to-be-condemned NY downtown theater in the late '70s). Papa S got a Daddy Christmas tie. I think Mama S got a toaster, but wouldn't swear to it. They always get to the heart of the things that really matter :dry:

#22 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

What I wouldn't give to see that! I finally got to see the Trocks in Baltimore last year and loved it.

#23 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

I picked SB because its superior to the other two. As far as ballet music goes, its the score of scores. Every time I listen to it, I know there is a God. Yet, each his ballets are peerless. SB, SL & Nutcracker are, like all of Mozart's operas, stand alone masterpieces. Like Mozart, each ballet is totally unique & the musical ideas are totally different, yet written by the same man. Therein lies the genius of both composers.

SL is the ultimate in lyricism. In 1877, SL was a major breakthrough
for ballet music, because this was arguably the first ballet score that could stand alone in the concert hall. It was music that was symphonic and on a par with the opera. IMO it's probably the most Wagnerian work he ever wrote. In SB he created a complete fairy tale kingdom, royalty, fairydom, tradition, pomp & circumstance. At the end of the Apotheose, you can almost see the storybook closing. With Nutcracker he takes you to that place of virtue and innocence, that's rare today.

#24 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:33 AM

I could live without the Nutcracker (too saccharine) but I love Sleeping Beauty. Then music that isn't even named in the poll popped into my mind. Thinking about Serenade & Suites # 1 &3 almost forced me to cast my vote for "can't choose". But then I decided to try the desert island test and found out that I can choose. If I could only have 1 piece of music to listen to for the rest of my life it would be Swan Lake - no contest. So I voted for it.

#25 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:37 AM

I didn't put "Serenade" or any of the other pieces of music that Tchaikovsky wrote that people have used for ballets, but limited the poll to the scores he actually composed for ballet. Just in case someone was wondering :blink:

Keep voting!!!

#26 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

As noted, Nutcracker suffers from overfamiliarity, but I think it's a little jewel of a score, the equal of SB in its way. So I voted for Nutcracker to help its rating. :off topic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):